Stray voltage >

Stray voltage

Notices

Stray voltage

Old 03-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Stray voltage

I was shocked by my outdrive so I asked about it in another part of the forum but I think this may be a better place to ask.

Here is my original thread:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=154536

Started the TLC on the 357 today. Props are off to Throttle-Up for inspection, removed the old carpet in the cabin, and started a cleanup of the bilge. I was very carefull keeping the water of the inverter in the bilge but must have got some near or in the unit. I plugged the power back to the boat and walked out and touched the outdrive. It nearly nocked me on the ground. I unplugged the boat and am a little afraid to plug it back in. Any suggestions? Keep me alive guys...

This happened about 4 hours ago and my left arm and hand still feel the affect of getting shocked.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You were hit hard. Not a good sign.
Maybe you did get the inverter wet.

I'd let everything dry for a couple/three days, open the engine hatch to help it dry. Then plug the AC line back in.
Do you have a multimeter?? If so I'd set it for AC and 200V then connect it from one drive to AC ground. Use a second extension cord with a three prong system and insert the meter probe into the ground socket making sure it touches the contact. If you get a reading then there is real problem.
If voltage is present disconnect the inverter and see if goes away.

Is there anything else aboard that is AC powered?
If you disconnect the inverter and voltage is still present start looking at other possibilities.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Registered

Iggy,

I got -00.6 on the meter. It went away as I unpluged the shore power. I also made sure I was not standing barefoot in water like I was last night.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, you were zapped while standing in water. That makes a great gound point.
Still shouldn't have happened though.

0.6 volts is all you got? On a 200V AC setting?
Hardly sounds enough to cause your arm to go numb. Maybe the electrical system has had time to dry out so the short to ground is less.
I'd still try disconnecting the inverter just to be cautious.

If there is any AC powered devices mounted where they could get wet I'd start thinking about moving them or protecting them from splashes.

You know, just for chits and giggles, try setting your meter to DC volts and take a reading. It's possible that the leakage is DC not AC.

Last edited by Iggy; 03-28-2007 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the amperage. 10 millivolts with the right amerapge will kill you deader than a door nail.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Registered

The invertor is the only AC power that has a chance of getting wet, and never while running. I must have splashed some water on it while cleaning the bilge. I will have some time to dry out as I leave for work and wont be back for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by satisfactionII
Its the amperage. 10 millivolts with the right amerapge will kill you deader than a door nail.
Except 10 millivolts isn't enough to overcome the resistance of your body and allow voltage to flow.

Try touching both sides of a 12 volt battery. That battery can put out over 400 amps (some way more), yet 12 volts isn't enough to jump through your body so it won't affect you. I have sat on my battery with a wet ass when working on the boat, though, and it kind of felt like when you touch a 9 volt battery to your tongue.

V=IR. I = V/R (I being current, V voltage, R resistance). Too much resistance or not enough voltage and you won't get any current flow.

It also depends on where your body is grounded and where it's exposed to the electricity. Someone told me once that when working on electronics, don't use both hands because if you get shocked the electricity takes a path straight across your heart. Say your arm is grounded at the wrist and exposed to juice at the fingers... you're way better off than if you're juiced at one hand and grounded at the other (but of course this is no guarantee that you won't die anyway).
Old 03-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Registered

No voltage today. I must have gotten water where it was not supposed to be.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

I would run a dedicated ground wire from one of the drive bolts to one of the screws on the chassis of the inverter.
This will insure the drive will not go "high" again.
There should also be a ground strap from the Engine
to the drive aswell.

Just my 02
Gerry
Old 03-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
Except 10 millivolts isn't enough to overcome the resistance of your body and allow voltage to flow.

Try touching both sides of a 12 volt battery. That battery can put out over 400 amps (some way more), yet 12 volts isn't enough to jump through your body so it won't affect you. I have sat on my battery with a wet ass when working on the boat, though, and it kind of felt like when you touch a 9 volt battery to your tongue.

V=IR. I = V/R (I being current, V voltage, R resistance). Too much resistance or not enough voltage and you won't get any current flow.

It also depends on where your body is grounded and where it's exposed to the electricity. Someone told me once that when working on electronics, don't use both hands because if you get shocked the electricity takes a path straight across your heart. Say your arm is grounded at the wrist and exposed to juice at the fingers... you're way better off than if you're juiced at one hand and grounded at the other (but of course this is no guarantee that you won't die anyway).

This is Correct!