Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canada Jeff- I'm in Georgia.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:31 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
So your saying my engine will go boom if I don't dyno? Whipple doesn't even sugest a dyno. Nor does procharger. But if you say so.........
I'm speaking for excursion here so bear in mind these are my thoughts (and I think his). A buddy of ours put Whipples on 525's, spent alot of time trying to get everything right but did NOT dyno/tune them. A year later....BOOM! We are re-building one right now.
I just removed Prochargers from 500's on a boat I bought used. They were supposedly "tuned" but ran so dam rich it looked like a diesel. (buddies 525's did the same thing). The fuel curve must be mapped to what the Whipple/Procharger needs and unless you put them on a dyno your just guessing at what they need. Some are right on......others aren't. For the cost of the dyno I'm not willing to gamble with the cost of a motor or a month (plus) lost during the middle of the summer.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Registered

So are computers recaled wrong? H ell they have sold enough now to know how to set the computer you would think. So I guess a dyno would show excessive smoke?

You understand my confusion here right. I agree that a dyno for any engine work is a great idea, I just thought Whipple had a better package than that.

Twin Screws, where is your closes dealer?

Mine is in Buffalo.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:42 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
So are computers recaled wrong? H ell they have sold enough now to know how to set the computer you would think. So I guess a dyno would show excessive smoke?

You understand my confusion here right. I agree that a dyno for any engine work is a great idea, I just thought Whipple had a better package than that.

Twin Screws, where is your closes dealer?

Mine is in Buffalo.

I know they offer it that way.....the only boat I have personally seen with them is 1 for 2

When we opened up my Procharged motors one didn't look so good....although it may not have been fuel curve related and more because of boost in general.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by twin screws
Thanks Dock, do you have a number for Tyler of Mark? Would like to talk to someone who knows.
what to do.

(504) 469-7463

Mark @ Precision Marine

http://www.pmefi.com/company.html
Old 04-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my opinion the dyno is not neccesary with a Whipple or ProCharger on a EFI motor, I have run a M3 ProCharger on a 502 MPI since 2001 with no problems! Mark @ Precision did the ecu for me and custom headwork in 2003. I bought a 35 Fountain last fall and just installed a pair of 500 EFI's w/ Whipples and considered getting them dynoed before dropping them back in the boat but Mark said it was not neccesary! If you really want to dial it in the best way is to have o2 sensors bungs in the exhaust and have someone like Mark tune the boat on the water in real world conditions. There are a LOT of these kits (ProCharger & Whipple) on the water with zero problems that you never hear of but as soon as someone has a problem they blame the kit. The truth of the matter is more than likely they did not know how operate the boat with the supercharger in the first place. I have seen people stay in the throttle and be all over the rev limiter and not even realize it and before you know it they have major problems. My .02 for what its worth.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I know is will the Supercharger who ever the manufacture garranty your motor if you "BOLT ON" one of there kits and it blows...........NO!!!!!!!!! sorry for your bad luck is what they will tell you. Just wander what you would do if it were your motor?? I would guess if you were smart DYNO??????????
Old 04-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both or more of you are somewhat right. What you get if you buy an offshelf whipple is a program that will work. It is easy all around. Whipple is not out there trying to blow motors. Every engine is different, a carb is forgiving, where a computer does the same old thing every time. A slight air flow change or a few extra degrees of cam timing, a higher fuel pressure, timing off a little, Add this all up and a EFI can work, but not really be close. A dyno lets you get all prameters good. The trick is to simulate idle in gear, how much load? Mid range & top end are easy picks for someone who understands the EFI. I really only think there are 2 places to go with calibrations. I like Precision. A dyno allows you to tune the engine to Max performance. A off shelf Whipple will work as these guys have done massive research to develop a program. They have to add a safety factor in for the unknown and the idit factor. What you get is a system that will work 99% of the time. Dont sell these guys short. With Dyno tuning you get a better tuning. In the water is a guess. That should only be a idle adjustment issue.

My 2 Cents
Old 04-07-2007, 05:56 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see your point but consider this, if you bought a Merc HP600sci, 700sci or 850sci and a YEAR later the motor developed problems you would be same situation......no warranty and the repair is on you. At that point with my bolt on kit at least I would have saved a lot of money for repairs.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:01 AM
Registered

O.K. this is making sence now.

Indy27, are you happy with the whipples on your 500's?

Quick Reply: 500 Efi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.