Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How hard is it to replace a gimble ring when the engine is out of the boat? >

How hard is it to replace a gimble ring when the engine is out of the boat?

Notices

How hard is it to replace a gimble ring when the engine is out of the boat?

Old 04-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default How hard is it to replace a gimble ring when the engine is out of the boat?

Ok you read the title

I was checking the gimble ring before putting the engine back in. It's in bad shape, its even loose on the lower swivel pin I have read previous threads on the topic but can not find a solid answer. The manual makes it sound harder than it looks. Any advise guys
Old 04-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go ahead and pull the transom assembly and change it on the bench. It isn't that bad on the bech compared to on the boat. Pulling the upper pin on the boat involves drilling big holes on the sides and plugging them when you're done with the job. While you're there you can also install it with new nuts on the transom assy. Pulling the transom is relatively easy. The "downside" is that you'll get a good look at the condition of the wood in the transom which could lead to a bigger job.

Rene
Old 04-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Registered

I would prefer not to drill any holes that is why I am asking how hard it is? It looks as simple as remvoving the steering arm and the six bolts. Hoses, wires, and cables should slide out with housing? What am I missing.

Last edited by 1BIGJIM; 04-09-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Missing nothing , do it now!
Old 04-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldandtired
Pulling the upper pin on the boat involves drilling big holes on the sides and plugging them when you're done with the job. Rene
Don't think this would need to be done with the engine out. Should be able to reach everything from inside the boat, but need some extra hands outside helping.

Loosen the U-bolt, loosen the nut/bolt on the steering arm, then loosen the top nut from inside the engine bay. Pin should slowly start to drop if you tilt the bell housing out of the way, or take the bell housing off first.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The only problem you'll have while its still on the transom is loosening the bolt that clamps the the steering lever. That bolt will be next to impossible to torque to the correct spec while on the boat. Your better off removing from the transom. If you need to borrow my Merc manuel let me know.
Also you may want to consider the HP gimbal ring kit.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cig1988
Also you may want to consider the HP gimbal ring kit.
Is that a dirrect bolt up? Can you mount the trim senders?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
Is that a dirrect bolt up? Can you mount the trim senders?
It is a direct bolt up but you may need the mechanical indicators. How much HP are you running ?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Registered

500-550HP using Dyno money for gimble ring
Old 04-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDog382
Don't think this would need to be done with the engine out. Should be able to reach everything from inside the boat, but need some extra hands outside helping.

Loosen the U-bolt, loosen the nut/bolt on the steering arm, then loosen the top nut from inside the engine bay. Pin should slowly start to drop if you tilt the bell housing out of the way, or take the bell housing off first.
Have you ever done it that way? When I did mine, it would have been absolutely impossible to do on the boat, with the engine in, without cutting holes in the sides. I had a rotted nut on the top pin and ended up removing it with a punch instead of a wrench. If you've done it with the engine in, I would be pretty impressed.

Rene

Quick Reply: How hard is it to replace a gimble ring when the engine is out of the boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.