Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hydraulic Steering - Single Ram - HelpAny >

Hydraulic Steering - Single Ram - HelpAny

Notices

Hydraulic Steering - Single Ram - HelpAny

Old 04-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I probably have a total of about 8 hr's.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The right to left turn lock differential will depend on the ram and size (volume) of the helm unit.
The manufacturer should have that info with your kit.
Gary
Old 04-16-2007, 02:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boatn70
i will be installing steering real soon! how long is this project taking you guys. barring any issues like this thread addresses.
thanks, sorry to step in....just learning again.

b70
It took me a little longer than 8 hrs. Make sure you really think this through and have all the tools and misc. parts you will need. That is what slowed me down, the little things.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,774 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Do you have to run the motors when you do this?

What does that do- power the hydraulic pump?
Yes and Yes.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:35 AM
Registered

Most systems require you to turn the wheel quite a few turns in one direction to force the oil/air past the check valves back to the resivour then repeat the process in the other direction. It is easy to have a bubble on one side of the piston if not done properly, the full turn is a little odd. Are you sure the ram is at half travel when the drive is centered, I have found instruction measurements to be wrong. I make it a practice of marking the rams center of travel with the drive blocked center before marking and drilling holes.
Please observe that the geometry of the single ram system is assymetric. Assuming that it is mounted on the starboard side of the drive, turning x degrees to starboard takes more travel by the ram than turning x degrees to port. This has some consequences;
1. When going straight ahead the ram should not be in the middle of the travel if you want to be able to turn as much to starboard as to port
2. I will take more turns to turn to starboard than to port
3. It will be easier to turn to starboard than to port, since you have more leverage

I would trust the manufacturer to have done the math.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

noise pollution, I'm planing on adding a hydraulic system to my Prowler. My existing helm was installed with a 20 degree wedge from Sonic to give the wheel less of a vertical position, did you have that and if so how did you deal with it? Also as I recall the original helm was mounted over a fuse panel, did you have any issues installing the new helm? It sure seems you hear of lot's of issues when people add a hydraulic system, are the instructions so poor or does each situation have different variables on each application? Steve
Old 04-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 509 SC
noise pollution, I'm planing on adding a hydraulic system to my Prowler. My existing helm was installed with a 20 degree wedge from Sonic to give the wheel less of a vertical position, did you have that and if so how did you deal with it? Also as I recall the original helm was mounted over a fuse panel, did you have any issues installing the new helm? It sure seems you hear of lot's of issues when people add a hydraulic system, are the instructions so poor or does each situation have different variables on each application? Steve
I reused the wedge and made a wedge to match it to go behind the dash. Made it out of a hard maple.That way it makes a parallel surface to pull the steering collum and the helm pump up to. I'd post a pic, but not sure haow to do it.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks, I follow you on the inner wedge! Any issues with the fuse panel on the back side of dash mounting the new helm? Thanks, Steve
Old 04-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 509 SC
Thanks, I follow you on the inner wedge! Any issues with the fuse panel on the back side of dash mounting the new helm? Thanks, Steve
No. I mounted the pump so the lines point down on a fourty five degree angle to the starboard side.
Bolts are at 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock position.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks, Hope you get everything worked out! Steve

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Steering - Single Ram - HelpAny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.