Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Gimbal Ring Repair Made Easy >

Gimbal Ring Repair Made Easy

Notices

Gimbal Ring Repair Made Easy

Old 08-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon
So do you have to take drive and bellhousing off to do this? I am really sorry for all the dumb questions guys but thank you for taking the time to help. It is appreciated very much!
Brandon

Yes, thats the easy part.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done alot of these repairs over the years using the merc plug and special nut kit, this looks like something I may try, but what is the primary reason for doing it this way as to the merc way? how much does his kit cost?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I think it was around $50. Its faster. I had a bad headache when I did mine and it took me 6 hours. I could do it easily in 4 hours next time.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems faster and looks better also. I don't care for Merc's plugs. I've done it several times with Merc's kit but I do prefer pulling the engine and removing the gimbal housing for access. I have a lift in the shop and can get any engine out in under an hour. That way you can replace the gimbal housing to transom seal also, and exhaust seals. Also lets you inspect everything. But the kits good for someone that doesn't have access to a lift.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done two of them with that kit and its much better than drilling the holes in the sides like Merc says. I will never use the Merc method again.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

do they have a repair kit for alpha's also, or just bravo's?
Old 08-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Registered

I am in the middle of trying to pull my gimble ring right now and having more problems. I cut out access through the front using jrmarines method and got the top nut loosened as far as I could and it is now topped out against the top of the transom assembly. I got the bolt that runs through the steering arm loosened a little. Does this bolt have to come all the way out? Also, how do I actually get this thing out. Please give me some advice guys. I am new to this and now stuck. Thanks you very much.
Brandon
Old 08-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Registered

What does this repair accomplish? IS it the side to side play or up and down play?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by G Man
What does this repair accomplish? IS it the side to side play or up and down play?
I have the side to side play. What was originally posted here was a different way to get access to the top nut to remove the gimble ring other than using the merc. way, which is near impossible on my boat without cutting out my swim steps.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Brandon
I am in the middle of trying to pull my gimble ring right now and having more problems. I cut out access through the front using jrmarines method and got the top nut loosened as far as I could and it is now topped out against the top of the transom assembly. I got the bolt that runs through the steering arm loosened a little. Does this bolt have to come all the way out? Also, how do I actually get this thing out. Please give me some advice guys. I am new to this and now stuck. Thanks you very much.
Brandon
the pinch bolt does not come all the way out, just good and loose, make sure the u-clamp on the gimble ring is loose and try to get the steering arm to move up so the swivel pin can drop down. once things start to move, it shouldn't be to bad.

Quick Reply: Gimbal Ring Repair Made Easy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.