Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
water in motor? >

water in motor?

Notices

water in motor?

Old 04-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree on the head or intake gasket failure.How much boost are you running?
Even though the oil is somewhat discolored still should change oil/filter.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spunky
The headers look like there in good shape i cant tell how much drop the exhaust is do you have a flapper on the tips to keep water from coming in when you come off plane. It could be a cracked header but chances are not.
Yes there are flappers.

There was no issue before the rebuild was done. I bought the boat and this was the second time I had it out. So Im leaning twardes a gasket or my oil cooler.

Last edited by DAVEO; 04-24-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Prostreeter
I would agree on the head or intake gasket failure.How much boost are you running?
Even though the oil is somewhat discolored still should change oil/filter.
About 6 psi not sure. Im installing a boost/vac oil temp water pres. and a fuel pres. gauge. I am going to change the oil and filter then run the motor and change it agian. Then go run the boat and see if the gaskets worked.

Last edited by DAVEO; 04-24-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Registered

I think your on the right course of action.i've got friends that run blower motors with high boost and they are always blowing head gaskets.you'll be fine.

I hydrolocked my 502 last week from a leaking exhaust riser.At the shop now but haven't heard yet what kind if any damage.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Registered

I think your on the right course of action.i've got friends that run blower motors with high boost and they are always blowing head gaskets.you'll be fine.

I hydrolocked my 502 last week from a leaking exhaust riser.At the shop now but haven't heard yet what kind if any damage.
Damn that sucks.

Im hopping its mine not anything more than gaskets.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Registered

Hate to be the bearer, but i'd guess you will most likely need a new crank/rods if it truly hydrolocked. It can weaken the rod/crank to the point that it will run for awhile, then fail.

This is damage that can not usually be seen by the eye. Can't say it for 100% that it will happen to you, but I've heard this story before and Murphy's law prevails.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Registered

DaveO what is the chance that when the motor was put together no one checked to see if the head bolts ran thruogh any water passages on the heads and there for they didn't get sealed properly?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Registered

Compression check and leak down check should be the first order of business. If nothing is found (which more then likely there will be) you can pressure check the water system fairly easily. Water comes into the motor in one place and exits in 2. I used radiator pressure checker to test mine, worked well. If you test it right it will include everything from the sea pump to the inlet to the headers.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Deltarat
DaveO what is the chance that when the motor was put together no one checked to see if the head bolts ran thruogh any water passages on the heads and there for they didn't get sealed properly?
I would say 9 out of 10.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tssteph
Compression check and leak down check should be the first order of business. If nothing is found (which more then likely there will be) you can pressure check the water system fairly easily. Water comes into the motor in one place and exits in 2. I used radiator pressure checker to test mine, worked well. If you test it right it will include everything from the sea pump to the inlet to the headers.
Thanks That could tell me more about my cooling.

Quick Reply: water in motor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.