Battery switch and charging question

Notices

Battery switch and charging question

Old 04-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery switch and charging question

What is the right way to charge batteries while running? Leave the switch to both? First run on one and then the other?
This spring I have one battery that won't hold a charge. I am going to replace both batteries. but I am wondering if I was running the switch in the proper place for keeping them fully charged.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Payton,
Either way works but works but faster if the low battery only is switched to the motor after running. The alternator charges that battery only. Both location on the switch charges both but slower. NEVER switch to OFF while running blows a diode in the alternator. Charge the low battery overnight on a slow charge then after it is fully charged test it with a load tester. If it is bad replace. Mercruiser has an electronic ignition that requires a good battery for proper operation.
Save getting stranded or fouling plugs, wasting gas and your week end replace if questionable.
Just my opinion
VeeCat
Old 04-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Registered

Only replace the bad battery. No need to replace a good one. That way you are only having to replace one at a time every couple of years.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Single?

I used to run on 1 battery for a day or so, then switched to the other battery. Kept both batteries from getting stale. Never did like using the Both position. 1 dead battery=2 dead batteries.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:57 AM
Registered

You are So right Fountain 1 !
Old 04-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Registered

What about a battery isolator that automatically keeps both batteries charged no matter what the switch positions?

They make models for one or two alternator setups. The alternators feed the isolator, which feeds the batteries. Then you don't have to worry about what switch is on what.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:41 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zimm17
What about a battery isolator that automatically keeps both batteries charged no matter what the switch positions?

They make models for one or two alternator setups. The alternators feed the isolator, which feeds the batteries. Then you don't have to worry about what switch is on what.
I like that idea.

Thanks for all the info guys. I was told very convincingly that if one battery is better than the other the charge will always go to the good one and the poor battery will get worse. But I don't think he was considering 2 altinaters and a battery switch.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to try something similar to this. I really want to have one 12V system and not worry about keeping them separate.

http://www.amplepower.com/primer/pwrsys/index.html
Old 04-30-2007, 03:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are drawbacks to doing either way. If you leave the switch on BOTH the regulator sense connection is connected to both batteries and the charging currrent is not optimal for any one battery, especially if you have two batteries with different capabilities and staes of charge. Additionally if you forget and leave the switch in both while in storage the batteries will fight each other until dead.

An isolator will work but the voltage drop accross it will mean it takes much longer running time to charge any one battery. The sense line will be connected to the selected battery but the other one will get the wrong charge profile. Not terrible but not perfect either.

Switching from one to the other is best for the batteries but you must remember to do it.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Registered

Best is to install an isolater. That way you are only using one battery at a time so that you cannot run down both without knowing. Whichever battery you are using makes no matter, both will charge at all times and only one will discharge from use.

Quick Reply: Battery switch and charging question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.