525 Merc backfiring >

525 Merc backfiring

Notices

525 Merc backfiring

Old 05-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 525 Merc backfiring

Boat ran great all weekend, docked it Saturday night. Sunday morning I took it out, got it planed off no problem. I noticed the Starboard Floscan meter was reading about 20 GPH (I think at 3000 rpm) and the Starboard Floscan was less than 15 GPH (At the same rpm-thought that was odd) then the Starboard motor started backfiring and loosing power. It would idle fine and all gauges looked normal, no alarms. I could put the engine in neutral and get it to backfire just reving it up. Any thoughts?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

lean pop?
dirty filters or clogged inlet screen on the low pressure fuel pump?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin,

Did you maybe pick up some bad gas somewhere and block up a fuel filter? First sign of a lean condition is backfire.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Registered

Rip/Chris,
The low reading on the FloScan would seem that you could both be correct. I wasn't sure if that would cause it to backfire.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll tell 'ya this fuel now breaks down some rubber and I personally think filter element sitting in the filters for 7 months. Not to mention attracts H2o when it sits.
I'm changing all 4 filters before I start the engines for the season. I have them here.

the program is now change them in the spring for these reasons.

after the stereo install that is.

Last edited by Rippem; 05-07-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Registered

You may have enough velocity in the speakers to move your boat without even firing up the engines when you get done with that setup! Lookin good.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Registered

Kevin,
Your boat sure looked good running Saturday in the poker run. Did you buy any dock gas? I try to stay away from the stuff. Even docks with good intentions and equipment can get water into their lines through condensation, leaks and osmosis.
Nice to meet you and your family.
Regards,
Steve
Old 05-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Registered

I fueled up on land before I launched Friday and boat ran great. I refueled on Saturday morning at GH Marina. (90 gallons) That's the fuel I was using during the PR event and it seemed to run OK but that's when I started to notice the Starboard/Port GPH readings were not anywhere close. Could have been the beginning of the problem.

Thanks for the compliment! You had a sweet ride as well. We had a great time and it was nice meeting you too. Have a safe season and hopefully we can hook up again. Maybe I can buy you a drink next time!

Kevin
Old 05-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dukenrock
I fueled up on land before I launched Friday and boat ran great. I refueled on Saturday morning at GH Marina. (90 gallons) That's the fuel I was using during the PR event and it seemed to run OK but that's when I started to notice the Starboard/Port GPH readings were not anywhere close. Could have been the beginning of the problem.

Thanks for the compliment! You had a sweet ride as well. We had a great time and it was nice meeting you too. Have a safe season and hopefully we can hook up again. Maybe I can buy you a drink next time!

Kevin
Kevin,
We're on with the drink for sure . My friends with the 29' Formula really liked your boat as do I. Sounds like it has a genset and AC? Pretty, fast, and comfortable is the best of all worlds to me.
Simply Kevin, I think you got a bad load of gas. That's the only only thing that changed, and your motor began to act up. I would either pump it out, or add a lot of gas dry and change the water separating fuel filters.
Bad dock gas usually is worse this time of year (sitting for some time due to slow sales, loses octane, gets condesation, etc.). This is not very high tech, but I would remove the filter from the backfiring motor (carefully) and empty it into a Mason jar or large clear water glass. If it has water in it, it will seperate out from the gas and be easily visible.
Regards,
Steve
PS, please feel invited to join us for our MCPA poker run here in Nashvegas on Old hickory Lake August 4th........
www.musiccitypowerboat.com

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 05-08-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Registered

where is the fuel filter on the 525efi?

Quick Reply: 525 Merc backfiring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.