Drive-line length >

Drive-line length

Notices

Drive-line length

Old 05-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive-line length

I am considering putting extension boxes on an existing side by side, plug-in speedmaster setup and was wonder if anyone has any creative short drive-line options. I don't really want to move my motors forward, this year anyway. What is the shortest traditional drive shaft length I can go with considering two flanges, two u-joints and some sort of slip yoke? Is there any sort of coupler out there that can accomplish the same thing in a shorter length?

Thanks
Jim
Old 05-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure exactly what you're asking. Guessing your looking at the standard Merc drive shaft lengths.
If a short drive line is all you need, try Rex or JC. They make custom length drive shafs for V drive applications.
Gary
Old 05-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Registered

Hey Gary,
Thanks for the reply. The main thing I am looking for is with a drive shaft or some form of coupler, what is the minimum length I can have between the flange of the extension box and the flange on the tranny. How much length do I need to make a drive shaft work. My guess is I will not be able to fit a "normal" 2-flange, 2-u joint, and slip joint configuration shaft in my application without moving the motors forward. This being said, I was wondered if anyone had any other ideas of any other coupling devises out there that could be used in a tight configuration.

Jim
Old 05-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Registered

I'm assuming the extension box has a short shaft in it that you'll be connecting to.
I have seen setups where the boxes internals were removed and the drive was rigged with a flange (staggered setup).
The engine was coupled with a shaft to the drive directly.
-or-
If you can have a little machining done, have a look at:
http://www.mcmaster.com/
"Flexible shaft couplings"
Old 05-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Registered

Gary,
Thanks!!! What a great idea. I never thought about working outside of std components. For that matter why couldn't you make a drive shaft off the cv of the drive and have the splined plug in shaft fabricated on the other end and keep the plug in trannies? Come to think of it, doesn't IMCO make a long plug in shaft that works with their standoff boxes for Bravos? Might be a b_tch getting the longer shaft into the tranny but I could bolt a "ramp" off the mid-carrier mount to provide support for the shaft during installation. I have a pretty good drive shaft shop close. I'll run it by them and see if I am missing something.

Thanks again.
Jim
Old 05-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Registered

I think a long shaft like the Imco will need a carrier bearing (like a bravos transom assembly). But that might work. I doubt the tailstock alone could keep a long shaft aligned.
Good luck.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Registered

So, if I came off the cv with an imco style shaft(more like an HD axle shaft than a traditional diameter drive shaft) running to the plug-in tail stock of the tranny and replaced the Merc plug-in style bearing carrier in the extension box with a shaft bearing to support the new custom shaft mid span, that might work? Additional question, when the drive trims up and down does the spline portion of the shaft in a plug-in style configuration slide in and out? Or does the CV just tip? Thanks for the thought generating ideas.

Jim
Old 05-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Registered

That might work. As you pointed out, there are aftermarket products that do the same thing.
And yes, the spline shaft does slide in and out when the drive changes angle. Not much, but it needs that capability.
On a staggered setup, the drive also uses a female splined shaft/yoke. This rides on male splined shaft/flange that mounts where your tranny "wing" mounts are bolted to the transom assembly now.
You could modify that setup to mount in the box. Then use a short driveshaft to connect that flange to the new tailstock flange on your tranny. That's the setup I've seen before.
Of course that would require a new tailstock, rear motor plate (if you dont have one now) machining your bell housing, and a driveshaft.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Registered

Gary,
The staggered configuration you described is similar in concept to the existing box set-up just moved to the inner transom plate. The problem with that for me is I am trying to not move the motors or change to a drive-line tranny(this year anyway). I currently have double plate mounts for the motor set-up. My plan was to lose the stock Merc inner transom plates and use the billet plates that came with the ext-boxes. I'm leaning toward the longer "custom" plug in shaft with a mid-span bearing support after the cv joint, mounted to the original extension box carrier attachment points. I think I can fab up a single bearing, two seal carrier and then tee off the drive vent to keep the bearing cavity filled with lube. An inner transom mounted overflow can will provide expansion room for both the drive and the bearing. The mid-span bearing support would also act as a guide during installation.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Drive-line length-screenhunter40_resized.bmp  
Old 05-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Registered

I dont see why it wouldn't work. Just make sure the alignment of the carrier bearing and the plugin tailstock is dead on. I know how dfifficult it is to get a standard SSM drive shaft in.
I think all the parts for that should be available at any custom axle shop.
A splined yoke, Axel with splined to match. Then just have them cut it and spline to match your tranny. You're going to have to figure out the carrier (axle) bearing mount, but that doesn't sound too difficult.
BTW, the mod I was descrbing was to use the staggered drive parts and move the flange from the inner transom plate, back into the box.
Gary

Last edited by rdoactive; 05-10-2007 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Drive-line length

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.