Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   New intercom system, too much wind noise (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/157977-new-intercom-system-too-much-wind-noise.html)

Vinny P 05-10-2007 08:41 PM

New intercom system, too much wind noise

Last season, I finally got tired of screaming over the wind and engine noise. Over the winter, I got a Revolution Marine intercom system. I told them that when I run the boat, I am in the wind, the windshield doesnt do anything to help. They told me that their boom mic system with the foam pad would surpress any wind noise. Well, after a long New York winter, I finally got to give it a run yesterday. I took it easy while I am breaking in a new set of gears in the drive. Even at moderate speeds, the wind noise was very bad. I called Revolution today, they now say that boom mics wont work in the wind, I need throat mics.
I see guys on bikes , like Honda Goldwings, cruising down the highways with boom mics. They seem to have a bigger foam sock around the mic. Do those work? I dont know a damn thing about bikes. Maybe their heads are below the windshields?? Or do they not hear a damn thing either.

Anyone have any experience with this.

Von Bongo 05-10-2007 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We use larger mike muffs and have little or no problem on our cig with wind noise. Without them its a problem.

These are from sigtronics and made for an open cockpit airplane

rbtnt 05-13-2007 11:35 PM

We use the RM intercom with throat mics and they are great unless you are putting them on and taking them off a lot. No wind noise and mics are always hot with no word clipping.

blaniac 05-14-2007 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by rbtnt (Post 2126653)
We use the RM intercom with throat mics and they are great unless you are putting them on and taking them off a lot. No wind noise and mics are always hot with no word clipping.

I guess that I am going to have to try mine again, seemed pretty noisy the first few times. Is there an incorrect way to use ??

Vinny P 05-14-2007 06:13 PM

Well, you guys are not going to believe this. I picked up a set of foam wind socks, similiar to the ones pictured in post #2. The original wind sock that comes on the mics from Revolution Marine is similiar to a cut off finger of a glove. I took off the original wind sock and what do I see..... the mic is encased in a plastic protector, the size of a stack of quarters. When I looked at the protector, there are holes facing your mouth to let your voice in but also holes facing FORWARD INTO THE WIND!!!! :eek: I cut a small piece of electrical tape to cover the forward facing holes, push on the larger wind sock ( not that you need them ) and give them a try. Not a peep of wind noise..Problem solved.:drink:
No thanks to Revolution Marine for selling a product that doesnt work as they advertise. Also, no thanks to them for not knowing their product well enough to tell me what the fix is when I called them with the problem. Their remedy was to attempt to sell me throat mics. :mad: