New intercom system, too much wind noise

Notices

New intercom system, too much wind noise

Old 05-10-2007, 08:41 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New intercom system, too much wind noise

Last season, I finally got tired of screaming over the wind and engine noise. Over the winter, I got a Revolution Marine intercom system. I told them that when I run the boat, I am in the wind, the windshield doesnt do anything to help. They told me that their boom mic system with the foam pad would surpress any wind noise. Well, after a long New York winter, I finally got to give it a run yesterday. I took it easy while I am breaking in a new set of gears in the drive. Even at moderate speeds, the wind noise was very bad. I called Revolution today, they now say that boom mics wont work in the wind, I need throat mics.
I see guys on bikes , like Honda Goldwings, cruising down the highways with boom mics. They seem to have a bigger foam sock around the mic. Do those work? I dont know a damn thing about bikes. Maybe their heads are below the windshields?? Or do they not hear a damn thing either.

Anyone have any experience with this.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use larger mike muffs and have little or no problem on our cig with wind noise. Without them its a problem.

These are from sigtronics and made for an open cockpit airplane
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

We use the RM intercom with throat mics and they are great unless you are putting them on and taking them off a lot. No wind noise and mics are always hot with no word clipping.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rbtnt
We use the RM intercom with throat mics and they are great unless you are putting them on and taking them off a lot. No wind noise and mics are always hot with no word clipping.
I guess that I am going to have to try mine again, seemed pretty noisy the first few times. Is there an incorrect way to use ??
Old 05-14-2007, 06:13 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Well, you guys are not going to believe this. I picked up a set of foam wind socks, similiar to the ones pictured in post #2. The original wind sock that comes on the mics from Revolution Marine is similiar to a cut off finger of a glove. I took off the original wind sock and what do I see..... the mic is encased in a plastic protector, the size of a stack of quarters. When I looked at the protector, there are holes facing your mouth to let your voice in but also holes facing FORWARD INTO THE WIND!!!! I cut a small piece of electrical tape to cover the forward facing holes, push on the larger wind sock ( not that you need them ) and give them a try. Not a peep of wind noise..Problem solved.
No thanks to Revolution Marine for selling a product that doesnt work as they advertise. Also, no thanks to them for not knowing their product well enough to tell me what the fix is when I called them with the problem. Their remedy was to attempt to sell me throat mics.