Oil Pickup Placement >

Oil Pickup Placement

Notices

Oil Pickup Placement

Old 05-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil Pickup Placement

I just had a new 454 mag. put in my Checkmate and the mechanic put the wrong oil pump pickup on. The pickup screen was 1.5 in. from bottom of 10 qrt Merc. pan. I lost oil pressure the first day at 4500 rpm and smoked the mains and rod bearings. Now the guy says it was some problem w/ the motor (doesn't know what though) and not the pickup . I think he's crazy . Pickup should be .250-.375 from what I read.

Any comments or similiar problems from anyone?

I could use some kind of written tech. document that addresses this if anyone can point me in the right direction. I read some somewhere that HV pumps can create a vortex and suck air if to far off and suck down to the bottom if to close. I can't remember where I read it.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Only the Best Will Do!

Here are the instructions for the Hardin Marine Oil Pickup Installation if it helps. This pickup is used with their 10 quart Offshore Style Oil Pan. Click here for the Mark IV pan, ( http://www.hardin-marine.com/detail~ID~936.aspx ) the same pickup is also used for Gen 5 and 6 pans.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
620-910610-Oil-Pump-Pickups.pdf (69.2 KB, 1151 views)
Old 05-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Taz,
From the Melling web site:

Q: How far from the bottom of the pan should my screen be?

A: Oil pump pick-up screens need to be 3/8” to ½” from the bottom of the pan.

Moroso says 3/16" to 3/8"

I think that around 3/8" to 1/2" is considered normal. 1 1/2" ....... ouch !!!! I would bet that the pickup was out of the oil most of the time at high rpm. I would think that any of the major oil pan manufacturers would back this up if you called them and asked. Moroso, Stefs, Canton etc would all be ones to call.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 05-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Registered

I contacted Dooley since I use some of their pans and was told 1/4-3/8. They also said screen placement is critical thats why they include a custom pickup with all their pans.

I calculated there would be a little over 3 inches of oil in the pan full . I have no idea how much oil in circulating in the system say at 4000 rpm. But if 4-5 quarts were in circulation that would put the oil level way to close to where my pickup was (1.5" off bottom). Then with slosh its all over for sure. Any ideas on how much oil is circulating in a BBC w/ HV pump?

I am very confident thats what happened but I'm having a difficult time w/ the mechanic since I can't find any backup other than the proper install measurement.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Registered

Taz,

I can't remember who it was, but one of the oil pan manufacturers had a pan they were testing on a dyno that actually had a sight glass on the side of it to show the oil level while the engine was running. I think I remember seeing it at the PRI show one year. I am going to ask a couple of the guys at the AERA www.aera.org if they remember who it was. That would certainly prove your point.

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md
Old 05-25-2007, 08:58 AM
Registered

That would be helpfull. The new engine will be in after Mem. Day and I will be arguing about the bill by Thurs I'm sure .
Old 05-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Registered

OK, engine is rebuilt and will be back in Checkmate Fri. I'm going to test run Sat. I had a engine shop do the motor and they wrote me a letter stating that the failure was most likely due to the incorrect position of the pick up tube. They also said there was no other problem w/ the operation of the engine.

Wish me luck!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Registered

Taz,
I know a lot of guys will say this is not neccessary but .... what I tell my customers is to run the boat for at least an hour or so very easy. Keep the rpms down, maybe to 3000 or so with a lot of varying rpms. Then change the oil, cut open the filter and look for any problems. Only after you have done that should you go out and hammer it. Unless the engine is broken in on a dyno I personally feel it is best to run it real easy for as long as you can stand it. Just go putt around the river for an hour or so, it will be the best leasure hour you can spend. Then change the oil and filter.

A marine engine is constantly loaded to full power. A good comparison is to hook your trailer up to your truck, find a fairly steep hill that never ends and put your foot to the floor for miles at a time. I dont think any of us would dream of doing that to a brand new truck .... why do it to your new boat engine. The longer you can take it easy on a new engine, the longer it will last.

Just my opinion,

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md
Old 05-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Registered

Bill,

I'm w/ you. I change oil and filter often and will follow your recommendation and change after 1 hr. The time before when the engine went bad that is how i found the problem, non metallic shavings in the filter. The only thing is mechanic will probably put 15-45 Merc. oil in it, what a waste of good oil.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Registered

The rebuilt engine runs great. I changed oil and filter after 4 hrs. Engine has 10 hrs now and I ran up to 4800 Sun. Still had more throttle but held back. I was running about 70 with a good bit of trim . Maybe next weekend I'll open it up.

Quick Reply: Oil Pickup Placement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.