Pioneer AVIC-Z1 IN Dash MM Nav System >

Pioneer AVIC-Z1 IN Dash MM Nav System

Notices

Pioneer AVIC-Z1 IN Dash MM Nav System

Old 06-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer AVIC-Z1 IN Dash MM Nav System

Anyone familiar with this? I want to put one in to replace a stock head unit. This one does not require DVD ROM's for the navigation and I can also integrate the back up camara in it.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:10 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Hey Duke,
I had this unit installed in my F250 last year and it works great, very happy with it. I also have the back up camera, voice activation and DVD movie override for the kids movies.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Registered

I have the Z-1 in my CXT. Pioneer did it right - it's one unit for DVDs, MP3, XM, GPS, and backup camera all in one. Also, it will automatically rip songs from CDs onto the hard drive so you can have them in your music library and never have to re-insert the disc again (not MP3s though, unfortunately).

The GPS is very good although I've seen systems with more-current maps. There's a major road near me that was built 3 years ago and it still isn't in the Z-1's mapping system (The Z-1 was manufactured in Dec '06).

One thing to remember is that there are ways to bypass the lockouts while driving so you can input anything you want while in motion. Find a shop that's willing to do this for you. It's as simple as connecting (or not connecting) a certain wire.

The voice activation is as good as any I've seen (meaning it's just about adequate).

Don't waste your money on the Bluetooth adapter or the Ipod adapter - most people have been disappointed in both. If you want to connect an Ipod, just run an RCA cable-Ipod adapter cable from the Aux jacks.

The Z-1 will also announce road names to turn onto, instead of just saying "Turn left in one half mile". Some people tend to think this is important.

Actually the Z-2 is already shipping but is just a software upgrade from the Z-1 and no one has found a way to bypass the lockouts (yet).

I also had a D-1 in my F-350 and it was very good, too.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Registered

Be careful bypassing the lockouts. Do not go to www.avic411.com as they will tell you how to do it. No luck on the z2 though.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Registered

I went with the Z2. I already ordered the Ipod connector-What's the issue with that? I will see if they could give me some Aux Jacks in the dash for a secondary Ipod if needed. I also asked if they could bypass the system so I could use the monitor for watching TV. They can't do it even using the back-up camara input with a toggle. I have read some mixed opinions on this unit as far as things like Long silenece between tracks, having to set the output for back-up camara (As opposed to automatically turning on when in reverse), but they assure me it's not that way. They are somewhat dated for maps and don't expect another update for 18 months. That may not be from a reliable source though. Looking forward to seeing it in action! Thanks for the input from everyone.
Originally Posted by cbeastwood
I have the Z-1 in my CXT. Pioneer did it right - it's one unit for DVDs, MP3, XM, GPS, and backup camera all in one. Also, it will automatically rip songs from CDs onto the hard drive so you can have them in your music library and never have to re-insert the disc again (not MP3s though, unfortunately).

The GPS is very good although I've seen systems with more-current maps. There's a major road near me that was built 3 years ago and it still isn't in the Z-1's mapping system (The Z-1 was manufactured in Dec '06).

One thing to remember is that there are ways to bypass the lockouts while driving so you can input anything you want while in motion. Find a shop that's willing to do this for you. It's as simple as connecting (or not connecting) a certain wire.

The voice activation is as good as any I've seen (meaning it's just about adequate).

Don't waste your money on the Bluetooth adapter or the Ipod adapter - most people have been disappointed in both. If you want to connect an Ipod, just run an RCA cable-Ipod adapter cable from the Aux jacks.

The Z-1 will also announce road names to turn onto, instead of just saying "Turn left in one half mile". Some people tend to think this is important.

Actually the Z-2 is already shipping but is just a software upgrade from the Z-1 and no one has found a way to bypass the lockouts (yet).

I also had a D-1 in my F-350 and it was very good, too.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Registered

Ipod interface should be speeded up with the Z2 update so it shouldn't be a problem.

I think new maps are out shortly but avic 411 would be the site to check to make sure. good luck with it!
Old 06-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Registered

I'll be installing a Z2 in a customer's F-250 next week. I'll let you know how it goes. The display for the navi on the Z2 is different than on the Z1 as if you put in an address for McDonald's (or any other business), it shows the building and the McD's logo on it when you arrive.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Registered

As an aside, I just bought a new Garmin for the boat that overlays satellite imagery onto the map. I wonder how long it will take until this technology comes to the automotive GPS world?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cbeastwood
As an aside, I just bought a new Garmin for the boat that overlays satellite imagery onto the map. I wonder how long it will take until this technology comes to the automotive GPS world?
It won't be long!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

To bypass the dvd lockout (Pioneer dvh-p6800)I had to wire a switch to ground. You have to make it think you pulled the parking break every time. If the source is grounded when you turn the unit on it will not work. You have to flip the switch so that it sees no ground when it first powers up and then you have to switch it to ground to make it think you applied the parking break. Other wise you could just wire it to ground and be done with it. I not sure if the Avic works the same way but I had intentions of replacing my unit with an avic sometime soon and I would hope the wife could watch dvd's from the front seat.......I guess I could put a visor monitor in but she didn't want to loose the mirror.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-Z1 IN Dash MM Nav System

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.