Bravo XR acting strange >

Bravo XR acting strange

Notices

Bravo XR acting strange

Old 06-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo XR acting strange

We have a strange problem with our drive. The drive oil reservoir is overfilling the drive. This has already caused one oil seal to fail. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

I would think that the vented reservoir cap is not working properly. The reservoir only fills the drive based on gravity. When it gets hot and the lube expands, the the air can't escape out the cap vent and its building pressure. Thats my guess at least.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Registered

We had a problem like that. The thing we found was we had a bent prop shaft. If you take the oil out of the drive put in a aluminum pan put heat to the bottom of the pan if the oil starts to crakle you have water in the oil. Then if that is the case, take to your nearest merc place and have them put a feeler gauge on the drive to see if the shaft is bent. Sorry for the bad news.

Get it done soon before the whole drive fails....
Old 06-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Registered

We did all that with the caps just a waist of time sorry
Old 06-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

which seal are you refering to that failed? Is it the one on the input shaft behind the yoke? There is an upgrade kit for that retainer, if you have the old style it must be replaced. PN 11-841026A2. If the seal was forced out of the retainer, this part will solve that problem. If you are making too much heat, it will cause problems with high psi in the drive and blow out seals. The cap on the resovior is a one way valve, doesnt vent out.. just lets fluid drain into drive.
I am going out of town for the rest of the week and wont have access to the board.. I hope this ansers your question. Will be able to discuss it further upon my return..

Hope this helps.
D*ck
Old 06-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
The cap on the resovior is a one way valve, doesnt vent out.. just lets fluid drain into drive.

D*ck
I did not know that. I thought it worked both ways. I guess that throws my guess out the window
Old 06-06-2007, 01:14 AM
Registered

Thanks guys, we were leaning toward a heat or psi, but did not know why.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:22 AM
Registered

The seal that failed was the one in the retainer, but if failed because the drive had way to much oil in it. We of course filled the drive in the normal way from the bottom till it showed at the top, filled the resevoir. Now this is where the problem starts. after a few short runs the resevoir will start to go down, when we pulled the top plug on the drive it is overfilled. We are sure this is what is causing the heat and seal failue.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The top plug is to let air out while filling. Not an oil level plug like a regular gear box.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Registered

The drive should be right full of oil, no air at all. Be clear on what seal exactly you are blowing. We had the same issue as what Mr Gadgets stated above. I'll bet its your problem too.

Besides, not sure how one can over fill a bravo drive????

Quick Reply: Bravo XR acting strange

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.