Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Boat won't go straight...help >

Boat won't go straight...help

Notices

Boat won't go straight...help

Old 06-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 273 Likes on 163 Posts

This post is hillarious. Ultraboy - How long have you boated? DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY trying to fix it. It can never be fixed. Every single boat I have driven does this - its just a part of it. If the steering wheel is pointed straight the boat will correct itself and there is no need to countersteer the whole time. One of the hardest things to do when you first start boating is to let go of the wheel (but not at speed). I had 3 different 24ft boats (2 pleaseure, 1 go fast) and they all did this. At cruising speed you should be able to let go of the steering wheel and it will track straight. If it doesn't - then there might be a problem. On the pleasure boats I spent most of my driving time with no hands on the wheel.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 24 Super did this real bad until I upgraded to full hydraulic steering. It still does it, but not near as bad. Good thing the cops don't pull boats over for weaving!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by marylandmark

I have never tried it but would think with the tabs down in a no wake that would cause more disturbance underwater which would cause a larger wake?

I am going to try it- just not where the big boats park my 1st time!

My bow doesn't wander at idle- well never really but def not at idle.
In my boat, the "wake" at idle speeds is smaller when I have the tabs all the way down.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thanks for all the responses...here's more info

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Someone asked if the drive wiggles. It only moves very slightly side to side when on the trailer.

Unfortunately the boat does not have any trim tabs.

This "bow hunting" occurs when I'm in shallow watter and have the drive trimmed all the way up. It it ok to hit the trailer button for a second to trim it up a little more?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's very hard on the drive/ u-joint to run the motor when the drive is trimed up high enough that you use the trailer button.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

well...I have heard closing one eye is supposed to help you drive straight in certian situations.............. who knows with boats..
Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

That's funny.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Formula wanders like drunken sailor.........wait, maybe it isn't the boats fault.

Truthfully, the Formula wanders all over the place at idle. Drive has some play but I don't think that's all the problem. I found if I lower the tabs all the way and raise the drive a bit the wander is less. The tabs help keep it staright and raising the drive helps bring the nose up a touch. Makes a difference.

This "bow hunting" occurs when I'm in shallow watter and have the drive trimmed all the way up. It it ok to hit the trailer button for a second to trim it up a little more?
No, very bad for the universal joints and gimbal bearing. where your drive trim stops, and trailer switch is needed, is the max operating hight (angle). Don't run it in trailer position, even while on the trailer.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steamin Rice
In my boat, the "wake" at idle speeds is smaller when I have the tabs all the way down.
Tabs all the way down and the drive in the down/in or neutral position when idleing in a no wake zone. When you leave the no wake zone your trim tabs and drive are in the correct position to take off and come on plane easier and quicker.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by satisfactionII
Tabs all the way down and the drive in the down/in or neutral position when idleing in a no wake zone. When you leave the no wake zone your trim tabs and drive are in the correct position to take off and come on plane easier and quicker.
Yep - Plus you can go a little faster in the harbor without a wake - Every little bit helps when you have a 45 minute idle from the breakwater to the ramp..

Quick Reply: Boat won't go straight...help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.