Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New to EFI, wont start, no spark. >

New to EFI, wont start, no spark.

Notices

New to EFI, wont start, no spark.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default New to EFI, wont start, no spark.

I have a 1996 502 Mag with MEFI1 that wont start. Ran perfectly a week ago and all season fine so far. I am new to EFI. No codes, just 1,2 over and over. No spark also. I dont even know where to start? No points, no condensor, Im lost......Please advice anyone. Doing lots of searching as well. No spark. Thanks very much.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check (wiggle) the connectors around the distibutor and coil. Check cap and rotor, check for 12V to distributor when ignition is on.

Have you conformed no spark with a timing light?
Old 06-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also check the 50 AMP circuit breaker. I may need to be reset. Another place to look is the 50 AMP circuit breaker connections. A loose connection there will prevent it from lighting up.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Registered

50 amp is ok as are connections, coil and dist connections look good. Rotor next. No spark anyway.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Registered

Check the lanyard and make sure the kill switch is in the run position. Can't tell you how many times I have seen this, the most basic thing overlooked.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phebus
Check the lanyard and make sure the kill switch is in the run position. Can't tell you how many times I have seen this, the most basic thing overlooked.
YES! Check both sides of the kill switch with a 12V test light.

If it is all right, the pick-up in the distributor is probably the culprit. Most of my friends carry a spare one. All you need to change it is a 3/8" wrench and a phillips screwdriver.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:51 AM
Registered

Checking the 12V at the distributor is an easy way to figure out if the trouble is up or downstreams from that point.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered

So, 12V to the coil when key on but still no spark. So key switch is good, kill switch, etc. is all good. Pick-up in distributor? Any way to check that? There are six wires into the distributor, two small wires from coil which I assume this is the pick-up trigger wires to the coil from the dist, and another group of four small wires. No spark confirmed multiple ways including timing light. Thanks very much, getting there, narrowing it down. Any more tips? Thanks
Old 06-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Registered

Well, the next step is to trouble shoot the individual components, coil, pick-up coil in the distributor, ignition module. For that you need an ohm meter and the correct procedure which I dont have Hopefully someone here can scan it . Otherwise you could buy a clymer or seloc manual. It will not be the last time you need it
Old 06-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Registered

forget the aftermarket books. buy the factory manual... they go thru this step by step w/ the diagnostic for each and every component. i got mine on ebay for 40 $ has saved me 20 times that much. the aftermarket manuals are just too general.

Quick Reply: New to EFI, wont start, no spark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.