Towing limits

Notices

Towing limits

Old 06-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing limits

Where can I find towing limits for different states for a RV towing a boat? This is not a wide load situation. I see the length limits, but I'd like to find a summary of permit costs per state if possible.

I've looked online and the info appears to apply to semitrucks primarily.

Last edited by Elite Marine; 06-23-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:02 AM
Registered

unless you exceed the loads and conditions that would put you into a CDL catagory you don't need permits of any kind that i am aware of. it doesn't matter what you tow ... boats , race car trailers etc... if you are under what's req for a CDL you are on a freebie.... and a " not for hire " sticker doesn't hurt
Old 06-24-2007, 07:06 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

I just returned from a 12 state jaunt with my coach and boat.... I didn't personally see any issues, but I understand the DOT is cracking down on length violations, especially in Fla.... my setup is 67' total, most states are 65' and some are 70' allowance... over 70' in any state and your in uncharted waters. Fla has an over weight/over length permit process that only costs $20 or $25 and your good for 96,000# and 70 or 75' if pulled over. MD, CA and PA have been known to be ball busters...

JH
Old 06-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Registered

It's my understanding that if you are towing in FL you need to call ahead and get permits - about $20. They are cracking down on private individuals hauling boats as JH said.

Also, in SW FL, expect them to pull you over and check your ppwk. It's happened to a lot of my buddies down there. They've busted five stolen boats being trailered over to Miami to use for human smuggling in the past two weeks.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Registered

i can understand the " routine checks" but if you are under the overall weight and length maximums, what " permits" do you have to call ahead for ? if its not CDL and its under the maxes, the DOT has nothing to do with it. it becomes strictly a NON commercial , public roads issue and thats the fl DMV. i towed a billion miles up and down the east coast with every size rig imaginable and while i am sure things have changed somewhat in the specifics, the differentiation between dealing w/ DOT or dealing with the locals was always the same.... CDL or commercial = DOT, permits and weigh stations. no CDL and under the maxes it was a private deal and you needed nothing and didn't have to stop anywhere.

and when you are in the back of the cruiser in handcuffs , you can tell them i said so....

just say " steve said it was ok" ........ they probably still have my picture on their dashboards.

Last edited by stevesxm; 06-24-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:26 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

It's my understanding that if you are towing in FL you need to call ahead and get permits - about $20. They are cracking down on private individuals hauling boats as JH said.
the DOT seized several rigs leaving the Gatornationals, so they aren't boat specific, length is length to them, no matter what's on the hitch,... the fines are $1000 a foot and $1 a pound overweight, one racer had to pay about $7,000 CASH to get his stuff back..
Old 06-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Registered

exactly. outside the maxes and you get your ass handed to you no matter where you are.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Thanks. I will recommend that my friend contact the DOT in the states he plans on driving in!!
Old 06-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here's a link to state towing laws.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Old 06-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Missouri - 65 foot max length and they will not issue a permit for longer!!!

How does a guy haul a 42, 47 or 50 foot boat there?

The catch is the limit is for detachable trailers only, so a 5th wheel would be legal over 65 foot.

Illinois - 60 foot and then a permit for about $ 50.00.