I'm sorry...another procharger question >

I'm sorry...another procharger question

Notices

I'm sorry...another procharger question

Old 06-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm sorry...another procharger question

I'm going to have a procharger M1 installed in the next couple weeks.My engine guy quoted me a price of 7500.00 to 8000.00 for everything.This price by the way includes pulling the engine to tap the oil pan for oil lines,fuel pressure and boost guages and tuning on the lake.Does that price seem fair?

Also,I will be running a small amount of boost (5%) and boating at almost 6k elevation the mechanic said I do not need to reprogram the ecu.Does that sound right? Thanks for your advise guys.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is that all they are doing? No freshening, head gaskets or anything?

I had mine done for $1,500. I used a SC unit (no lines). Would have probably costs another $1,000 to pull engine and tap pan. I did the lake tuning myself. I had to do some trial and error since Procharger sent me a reference diaphram set for 7lbs. Once I get that figured out it was pretty easy.

I had it done down in Alabama where things are cheaper but that sounds way high.

I would definately have it reprogrammed. That costs between $300-$400. That makes a huge difference in the way it runs. If not you may be seeing a black transom and it will stumble around.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Registered

The engine is a "leftover" 1998 502mag mpi installed in this boat the summer of 2005.It has about 50 hours.I had a water in the oil issue last month and the intake and head gaskets were replaced then.

Just seems everyone has a different opinion on the procharger thing I'm really confused.I read every thread there is and still dont know what to do.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Prostreeter
The engine is a "leftover" 1998 502mag mpi installed in this boat the summer of 2005.It has about 50 hours.I had a water in the oil issue last month and the intake and head gaskets were replaced then.

Just seems everyone has a different opinion on the procharger thing I'm really confused.I read every thread there is and still dont know what to do.
I guess that the 7,000 includes the Procharger right. Maybe a little high for a M1 but I have not checked blower prices this year.

Opinions differ on what to do. 50 hours is not much. Mine is a 1997 had 270 hours and I did nothing to it. I took the risk that I may have some issues. I am on the second season with no problems. I don't stay in it for long.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Price is a little high as I purchased my M-1 used for a bargin price of $1500 and then put another $500-$1000 in other goodies. The 502 is a good motor to boost as it has forged internals and big enough injectors. I would call Mark @ Precision Marine about the re program and he may allready have done .your set up. re-program is a good thing to do. I installed the oil return bung with the engine in the boat. I have lots of room around my engine however.

Last edited by baronbob; 06-26-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Registered

I think you should be able to get the M3SC and the big ass intercooler for that. Where do you live? I would do it for that.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kennyo
I think you should be able to get the M3SC and the big ass intercooler for that. Where do you live? I would do it for that.

Definately go with the M-3. Runs much cooler and safer.

I also used Mark at Precision for the reprogram. He is very knowledgable and gave me a quick turn around. He factors in altitude, cam size, exhaust type etc.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$ 7 to 8 grand should include the whole ball of wax for this set up. Definately go with the M3-SC......much better temps and it is not working nearly as hard. I have ridden in Bill's Boat both before and after and it really woke up the 502....to say the least! The whole set-up for parts should run you just over 6 grand for the M3-SC including every thing you need, also with the SC no reason to pull the motor to tap the pan then add another $ 1000 to $1500 for the install and you are there in the quote he gave you and you will be much happier with the bigger set up. Check with Jamie @ lakeside marine ( he is a sponsor here) he really knows his stuff and has great service and pricing.

I was going to get mine through him but found a deal on a low hour used set up.

Bryan
Old 06-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Registered

Thanks everyone for the input.Looks like the M3 is what people prefer.I will talk with Jamie to get his input and with any luck he may have a low hour or rebuilt M3.