Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Big Block Marine accessory kits? >

Big Block Marine accessory kits?

Notices

Big Block Marine accessory kits?

Old 07-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Block Marine accessory kits?

Is there any companys selling complete marine engine accessory kits? Im interested in having a machine shop build me a set of stroked 502 long blocks from scratch and was hoping I could buy a "Complete Kit" for the engines to make them plug and play. Im starting from scratch so, Basically I need to make them complete like the carbed mercruiser repower package but with ALOT more power. If there is no one offering a complete package do you guys know of a good/knowledgable/fair priced company that would have all the individual parts in one place?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KEPP/CP/Hardin (all the same ownership) will have most of what you will need to marinize a BBC. You can also check out Teague, Dana, and Eddie Marine. A total new total package will cost $5-10+K depending on the level of quality and bling you want. The low cost method would be to buy a used Mercury engine package (Merc 500 HP carb?) and upgrade the power.
Make sure your drive system will handle the increased power. The standard Mercury Bravo drives are close to max at 500 HP.
Good luck on your journey!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Registered

Check this link if it works http://www.cpperformance.com/SearchR...CategoryID=373 If it doesnt do a search at www.cpperformance.com They have complete accessory kits with everything included.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by daveintexas
Check this link if it works http://www.cpperformance.com/SearchR...CategoryID=373 If it doesnt do a search at www.cpperformance.com They have complete accessory kits with everything included.
Thats exactly what i was looking for..TY

Im planning on running a pair of fully built/stroked 502 which should make at least 600hp and a max rpm of 6-6500 through both of my bravo's. Do you think this will be a big problem or just something to keep in mind when running full throttle?
Old 07-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of boat will you be pushing with the twin 600+ HP engines?
Besides the $2000 CP front engine package. You will also need:
- Engine mounts
- Bellhousing
- Oil & PS coolers
- Alarm system w/senders
- Wiring harness
- Flame arrestor
- Oil filter system
- Valve covers
- PS pump
- Lines and hoses for oil, water, PS and fuel systems
- Marine alternator, starter, carburetor
- Flywheel and drive coupler
- Complete marine ignition system
- Bracket systems for much of above
- Water cooled exhaust system
- SS hardware
- Sea water pump
- Sea water strainer
Consider calling CP and ask them to quote you two entire systems to marinize custom BBC's.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Registered

I guess I shouldnt have said from scratch. I recently purchased a 1982 32' Hustler SS project which has no engines and dont know much about it besides it has hydro trim, Electric pumps, Wiring is there and im missing everything from the bellhousing forward. I believe it came with twin carbed 454's from the factory?

I would like the boat to run 80mph and thats why i started looking into building custom BB and piecing together all the accessories im missing. But on the other hand I was also thinking maybe I would be better off getting two new mercruiser 6.2MPI (320hp)packages which seem to be complete with everything im going to need, Gain fuel injection and is in my price budget. Although, Im pretty sure isnt going to put me anywhere near the speed I want.

Last edited by 32HustSS; 07-02-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Registered

maybe 60mph with sm blocks, look for used compete 502 500hp take out there out there. art ps with the 500s 80 is a go
Old 07-03-2007, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 hp500s dis-assembled at the engine shop. I was going to make them blower motors but bought different engines. You could buy ported aluminum heads and pick your cam/carb and be there. These have all accessories.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jryan26
I have 2 hp500s dis-assembled at the engine shop. I was going to make them blower motors but bought different engines. You could buy ported aluminum heads and pick your cam/carb and be there. These have all accessories.

Im interested if price is right. Can you give me more info on them? What exactly would I be getting? What accessories? Price? Damage? Hours? Shipping to 12601 etc

Thanks