Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454 Bravo One Overheating.  Very strange >

454 Bravo One Overheating. Very strange

Notices

454 Bravo One Overheating. Very strange

Old 07-07-2007, 04:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some draining of water while on trailer is no problem----just make sure drive is down at least half when firing it up in the water and fully down when on trailer----put muffs on and run water a few minutes into stern drive before firing up---never ever fire up dry as this will burn impeller in matter of a minute or two---also with muffs on dont go much over idle as the suction increses and will starve the pump---not sure on the aftermarket or heavy duty pumps but id go with factory replacement when available---just thoughts----sorry for the 4th and your b-day----we were grounded too this last week due to a blown coupler and broken skeg-----sux.....

good luck with the repairs
Old 07-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Registered

1. Yes while stationary
2. instantly
3. no
4. Mine is OK so far
5. Jabsco makes a highly recommended OEM replacement. Don't have part number off hand. Not worth it if your repair kit fixes it for now.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put some good lubricant in the housing before inserting the new impeller. Run it on a hose so the water gets up into and in front of the pump as well.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:02 AM
Registered

bajahaha,
Is yours a fuel/seawater pump combo(like my old '93 454's)?
If not, this is the Jabsco replacement pump, much better than the one piece plastic crap that Merc now uses, it's a bronze housing: I am going to replace the ones on my HP 500EFI's with these units:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O8F1C0/...0&linkCode=asn

Good Luck,
Paul
Old 07-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you toasted an impellar, Remove the hose from the outlet side of your oil cooler and run water from a hose backwards through the cooler. That will help to flush out any pieces of impellar that came loose.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Registered

Thanks again to everyone! We are getting closer to the resolution but still no fix as of yet. I purchased a new pump (impeller and housing) and quicksilver flusher kit. After replacing the pump and hooking up the hoses, we decided to crank it. No water flow anywhere. I pulled the intake hose off the pump (while the water was on full blast) and there wasn't a drop of water at the intake side of the pump. What is going on here? Should there be water at the pump while the flush kit is installed? I would think so. If for some reason there isn't supposed to be, I think my rigid intake hose is worthless because it’s sucking air around the barb. It is very hard and doesn't seal very well around the barb in the back. It looks like the hose is actually fuel inlet hose (extremely rigid) is this correct? I'm ready to purchase a new water hose to see if that works. I'm real curious to know if the flush kit should push enough water through the system for there to be water at the intake side of the pump. Please help. I can't believe or let this freaking boat ruin another summer. I've had it for a year and have spent an incredible amount of time and money on this stupid thing.

Thanks!
Jody
Old 07-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you pulled the intake side of the pump and did not get any water with the flush kit on, you for sure , have an obstruction. I would concentrate on clearing it. Possible debris? pinched hose? It should flow like the garden hose.

Darrell.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 372 Likes on 250 Posts

pinched hose in the transom could be it. take your drive off, plug garden hose on the gimball water hose, see what it does, if it does not work, go back wards from inside transon towards gimball. if it works fine, as I said earlier in this tread, I'd check your intake hose! It may not be the problem, but it happened to me and it was the problem!

Good luck again and don't give up. You are maximum an hour away from your problem if you check these 2 things I think!

Let us know what happens!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Registered

Remove/replace the flush kit and transom to pump hose. Consider getting the Merc flush attachment. I don't know the part number but it was on somebody's thread not too long ago regarding a 496 water pressure issue.
You sure you had the hoses connected correctly? Was there water coming out of the now-open port on the pump?
Flush kits are known to go bad once in a while. "Theoretically", depending on how much pressure you have at the faucet and where you connect the garden hose, you should be able to push water at least as high as the connection. With just the garden hose cranked up, I can get water out my risers/exhaust.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Registered

This is freaking stupid! I purchased a Mercruiser/Quicksilver flush kit, turned the hose on full blast, half blast and everything in between but didn't see a drop of water at the intake side of the seawater pump. I have great water pressure but it didn't make a damn bit of difference. I have backflushed the drive, replaced all hoses between the drive and seawater pump but can't get any water up to the unit while on the flush kit. There is no kink in the hoses and the hoses are all in excellent condition. I am inclined to separate the upper and lower unit to observe the water passage and see if I can spot anything that would be causing this odd ass behavior. Shouldn't I be able to hook up the flush kit and have it push water to the seawater pump without it spewing water everywhere?

Jody

Quick Reply: 454 Bravo One Overheating. Very strange

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.