Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Sirus Radio reception is crappy! >

Sirus Radio reception is crappy!

Notices

Sirus Radio reception is crappy!

Old 07-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirus Radio reception is crappy!

mad:Just installed Sirus in my 35 fountain. Bought the recevier package and connected to my Sony head unit. It came with the small square antenna which I mounted with a clear view of the sky. The thing plays great as long as the f*%#:>g boat is stoped or idieling along,as soon as were up on the step and running it just completly looses it way and starts searching. I have looked for and found what appears to be some upgraded antennas offered by Shakespear around the internet for about 60 bucks. Anyone know if this is the answer or have any experance with this.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:03 AM
Registered

I have the white antenna that is about the size of a hockey puck and never have a problem with reception. For $60 it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the black one as well. It seems to lose the signal on a perfectly clear day. It does suck. I haven't ever noticed it losing the signal because of speed of the boat but the loss of signal at anytime is irritating.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I have found the small flat round magnetic antennas seem to work the best. The square "home" antenna one that tilts is the worst. Sirius has an antenna extension cord with built in amplifier that I have but have not tried yet. Also if the antenna is pointing straight into the sun you will lose reception, better to have it straight up I have found.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Registered

Speed should have zero effect on your reception. I would certainly change antennas and be very careful of the type. Antennas must utilize a ground plane and as I'm sure you're aware, fiberglass isn't an electrical conductor. Also, make sure you aren't pinching the cable anywhere or coiling up the excess.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griswald
Speed should have zero effect on your reception. I would certainly change antennas and be very careful of the type. Antennas must utilize a ground plane and as I'm sure you're aware, fiberglass isn't an electrical conductor. Also, make sure you aren't pinching the cable anywhere or coiling up the excess.
I do have the extra cable coiled like it came inpackage. There is a lot left over so that is how I squared it away. How would that affect the reception ?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SHO TIME
I. How would that affect the reception ?
You create a phasing coil. If you have it coiled up, THAT is where your antennas is, not from the element exposed to the air. Undo that mess and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griswald
You create a phasing coil. If you have it coiled up, THAT is where your antennas is, not from the element exposed to the air. Undo that mess and see if it makes a difference.
Thanks for the tip bro. I will give it a try the next time out, which will be for the Emarld Coast weekend in August. Look for me there and we'll have a cold one if you make that run as well. (98 35 Fountain, red & blue Top Z Grafics,with race fairing)
Old 07-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My reception is completely out yesterday and today. I am wondering if sirius has a problem today or is it just me?

Rene
Old 07-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

working fine in my car today.

On my boat, i used the little standard black sirius antenna like you use on the trunk of your car and wedged it up in the headliner in the cabin. Reception is perfect unless someone is standing on the deck above the antenna. Never had a problem.

Quick Reply: Sirus Radio reception is crappy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.