Fuel pump Voltage boosters on a Procharger >

Fuel pump Voltage boosters on a Procharger

Notices

Fuel pump Voltage boosters on a Procharger

Old 07-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fuel pump Voltage boosters on a Procharger

Anyone using a Voltage booster for their fuel pump. I re- calibrated my Aeromotive Regulator and now when everything is perfect down low i need a few more #'s up top. Running 32# at idle only nets me 58# at 6# of boost. I'm hoping one of these will give me 3 or 4 more #'s at wot.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These Units Were Made To Slow Down The Pump At Idle. What You Have Going On Sounds Like You Do Not Have A Boost Compensating Port Regulator. If You Do Have One Your Pump Is Just Following The Pump Curve And Coming Up Short On Fuel Delivery.look At The Pump Curve At Wot And Boost Pressure To See If The Pump Will Deliver The Fuel You Need.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Registered

It is boost referenced. The booster is also boost referenced to amp up the voltage at full boost thereby increasing the pump output/pressure.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 28#s @ idle and 52#s @ WOT 6PSI @ 5200RPM procharger M-1 42#Marin injectors, heads,valves,exhaust and mag internals. Dustin set it up with A/F 12.0. Either your deck refrence is off or your injectors are not flowing.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Registered

As another reference point. I have 40 at idle, & 50 at 10 lbs of boost. Running aeromotive eliminator pump. For efi something is wrong.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I run 40 at idle now and 70-75 at wot,to get more than 60-65 psi at wot when my 60 lbphr injectors are about maxed out I use a Kenne-Bell Boosta-pump voltage booster,it brings the voltage up between 13.8 to 16 volts at 5psi of boost (its adjustable). Msd makes one too but its only rated for 10 amps,the K-B one is good for 30 or 40 amps. It works pretty well for me,guys also use them when they modify street cars but don't want to drop the gas tank and install a bigger in tank pump,by increasing the voltage you can increase output by 20-30%. Of course pump life is going to be shorter,there is always a trade off but my understanding is if a pump was going to last 2000 hours,boosting its votage to 16 volts decreases it to 600 hours but remember,your only doing this under higher boost settings so its really not a big concern,Smitty
Old 07-26-2007, 07:22 AM
Registered

What fuel pump is being used?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Registered

Aeromotive a1000(RED) pump. I'm trying to get these fuel pressure #'s because that what I was told my ECM is set up for. I'm running the mefi1 comp so I don't have the O2 sensors to check it my A/F ratio. I got this idea from Smitty so i'm hoping it works. I pretty much try to do what he does because he's "been there ,done that".
Old 07-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

In my case I started out with a aeromotive 1000 on my procharged 502,when it could no longer keep up ( trying to run more fuel pressure with 42lb injectors maxed out)I bought a essex billet fuel pump. It kept up fine with the 42 lb injectors even at 70-75 psi fuel pressure. When I went to the 60lb injectors it couldn't keep up past 4800 rpm's (fuel pressure would drop off),I added the K/B voltage booster. I could get 65 psi at 6000 rpm's but needed 70-75 psi so I bought a aeromotive eliminator. In conjunction with the voltage booster cranking up the output when I hit 5psi of boost it has no problem keeping up. I would have bought a pro series aeromotive or a weldon 2025 and skipped the voltage booster BUT my return regulators and lines wouldn't be able to handle all the extra fuel that would need to be returned when not in boost and at idle,Smitty
PS-wire your fuel pump on its own circuit using 10 gauge wire for the least amperage/voltage drop and its own relay (I use a bosch 50 amp) directly off the alternator or battery,use those puny stock mpi relay power wires to trigger the big relay,the merc wires and relay were meant to power a stock fuel pump,not a big aftermarket one. If you haven't done this yet you probably have your voltage dropping to 10.5 volts under boost which kills the pumps output,Smitty
Old 07-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Registered

I've already got my relay and harness ready to install with the booster. It's wired that way now but the wire is 12-14 gauge. I put it on next week and let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump Voltage boosters on a Procharger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.