Slippage?? -  Help!!! >

Slippage?? - Help!!!

Notices

Slippage?? - Help!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slippage?? - Help!!!

I've been plauged with slippage issues since putting in my new engine this spring. Admittedly, this 540hp engine is way to much for a stock Bravo 1, but I haven't even gotten on it yet at all.

I first noticed that I couldn't go faster than 60mph. I'd get close and it felt like the engine was losing power. Couldn't figure out what was going on until one day I was trying to come on plane with a full load of people and the engine went straight to 5000rpm. I got off it, but couldn't get it back on plane until I let it sit for a minute then gently got it on plane.

At first, a friend told me it was a blown coupler. It's a new coupler and my engine builder (Tyler) said there's no way it could be bad and that it was probably a slipping clutch in the trans. I talked to a few more people who told me Bravos have separate forward and reverse clutches and that if I ran a LH prop, it should run fine in reverse.

Did that and it seemed to run fine (gently loaded), until yesterday when I had another heavy load and again it started slipping. Not as bad as before, but it did keep slipping to some degree until I let it cool down again.

Do Bravos have separate forward and reverse clutches? If so, what's the chance the reverse clutch could go when it's never seen heavy loads?

Could it be the coupler? Do they go like that where they'll recover a little when they cool down?

Any ideas? I'm really trying to nurse the boat through the summer and don't want to tear everything down without having some idea what the problem is. I could buy a new Bravo, but that won't do me any good if it's a coupler, and tearing the engine out to replace the coupler is a big hassel if that's not the issue.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Registered

It cannot be the coupler it would have melted in a minute. Your bravo has a cone clutch, one piece for both gears. Mercury was upgraded them since your boat was new. Since the clutch engages the beaing and has been slipping all your surfaces are going to be blued and thus ruined. Your should find someone to rebuild your upper housing
Jim
Old 07-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
It cannot be the coupler it would have melted in a minute. Your bravo has a cone clutch, one piece for both gears. Mercury was upgraded them since your boat was new. Since the clutch engages the beaing and has been slipping all your surfaces are going to be blued and thus ruined. Your should find someone to rebuild your upper housing
Jim
Great, anyone in Michgan have a used Bravo 1 that would get me through the season?

Talked to John at Dollar Offshore this morning and he says that it sounds like the shift cable is out of adjustment. he asked if I checked the drive oil, and I had and there were no metal shavings and no burnt oil smell. He thought if I took the drive off and adjusted the cable, I might be fine for the season.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything that could slip in a Bravo 1 setup would end up being semi catastrophic, resulting in an almost total, to total loss of power. You can idle with a spun coupler and maybe even with wrecked gears. Your cone clutch, which is one part with 2 engagement surfaces, would probably weld itself to where you can't shift it anymore before slipping. It would definitely have a problem shifting into gear if it was spun. My vote is to check your prop hub. It could even be as simple as prop blow out. When you significantly increase power, sometimes the boat will act differently with the same prop. Just some thoughts,

Rene
Old 07-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Registered

If it slipped in both rotations I don't know how it could be an adjustment. If the cable is bad it may have contributed to the problem. Check the cable outer cover where it connects to the bellhousing in the mid section, often the outer part fails were it connects the the brass end. If it slipped enough to get the clutch and gears hot you will be extremely lucky to fix it with a cable adjustment. Good luck
Jim
Old 07-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by oldandtired
Anything that could slip in a Bravo 1 setup would end up being semi catastrophic, resulting in an almost total, to total loss of power. You can idle with a spun coupler and maybe even with wrecked gears. Your cone clutch, which is one part with 2 engagement surfaces, would probably weld itself to where you can't shift it anymore before slipping. It would definitely have a problem shifting into gear if it was spun. My vote is to check your prop hub. It could even be as simple as prop blow out. When you significantly increase power, sometimes the boat will act differently with the same prop. Just some thoughts,

Rene
I've tried 4 different props now. All do it to some degree, and they slip at speeds/loads where the secondaries aren't even open yet. The thing that gets me is that it recovers if I let it cool down. I can shift in and out of gear no problem around the docks, and as long as I'm gentle getting on plane and don't go fast, it runs like a champ. As soon as I get a little slip, it just keeps slipping until I stop and let it cool down.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
If it slipped in both rotations I don't know how it could be an adjustment. If the cable is bad it may have contributed to the problem. Check the cable outer cover where it connects to the bellhousing in the mid section, often the outer part fails were it connects the the brass end. If it slipped enough to get the clutch and gears hot you will be extremely lucky to fix it with a cable adjustment. Good luck
Jim
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I'm at a loss for what it could be. The gear lube looks great, with no burnt smell at all, and it keeps recovering when it cools down. Sounds like everyone agrees it's not the coupler though??
Old 07-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Registered

Check the cable in the mid section if the cable fails at the brass you will lose travel, and make sure where it connects on the shift plate is tight. On the shift plate there is an adjustment slot. Unlikely but maybe the post is sliding in the slot.
Jim
Old 07-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Bravo's don't "slip" like you are explaining it. It does not have a trans and the cone clutch is is part of the shifting system. It sounds like a coupler or prop hub.

BTW, 540hp will not kill a Bravo if you drive it right.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Bravo's don't "slip" like you are explaining it. It does not have a trans and the cone clutch is is part of the shifting system. It sounds like a coupler or prop hub.

BTW, 540hp will not kill a Bravo if you drive it right.
It's not the prop hub, as I've tried 4 different props. Are you saying it could be the coupler then? Could the coupler start to slip then hook back up again once it cools down?

Quick Reply: Slippage?? - Help!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.