gps speedo sending unit mounting

Notices

gps speedo sending unit mounting

Old 08-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default gps speedo sending unit mounting

My motor came off the dyno a few weeks ago,I been working 100 hours a week at my 2 jobs but have managed to get motor in the boat and son has been rigging it. We thought we were going to be doing some water testing last sunday but when we went to fire motor up the msd box was dead (worked great on dyno BUT it got bounced HARD on the concrete by someones employee ,not mine,at the dyno shop). Anyways,plugged ignition in stock,set timing,found that my 2000 gaffrig factory tach is totally screwed. It worked when we pulled motor last year,spent 3 hours pizzing around with the wiring thinking we did something wrong just to finally figure out tach is just not working (would work to 3000 rpm's then goes to zero).
So I bought a new ignition box,new tach and thanks to KIRK JURINEK at ELITE MARINE-a beautiful gaffrig gps speedo with re-call (had dash ripped apart for the tach,gave me a exscuse to re-place the stock speedo that hasn't worked in years). My question is-where do I need to mount the gps transponder to ensure it works properly? I thought I could just stick it under the dash but I'm thinking it has to be mounted out in the open. Alot of you guys have them,where did you mount yours,under the dash/fibreglass or on top of the hull,thanks for any input,Smitty
ps-I skipped over the 90 mph model and bought the 120 version,boat ran a best of 92.8 with my old power,I'm thinking it might run a mile per hr or 2 faster now
Old 08-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It needs a clear view of the sky. [no metal interfierence]

Some of my customers have mounted the puck under the dash sucessfully. If you're going to try this, use duct tape to secure until you have a chance to verify that it'll receive properly.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Livorsi Monster GPS speedo. I mounted the antenna inside the dash, zip tied to the back of the gauge itself. I'm on my third year with this setup and haven't had a problem.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I put the gauge inside the dash temporarily today,it worked flawlessly,going to just mount it there. I'm glad because I didn't want to have to mount it on top of the deck,thanks for the answers,Smitty