finally on the water

Notices

finally on the water

Old 08-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default finally on the water

Finally water tested the boat today, nothing real exciting to report though. Last year I ran gas in boat down to empty,figured there was about 10 gallons of year old gas in the tank (it showed empty,plus we ran it on the hose a hour bleeding power steering and checking for leaks),went to the gas station,was going to put 70 gallons of 93 octane in then top it off with 10 gallons of 110 to make sure I had enough octane to test run at 10-12 psi boost without detonation (holds 90-95 gallons of gas). Didn't even hit 50 gallons and started blowing gas out the over flow,so I had just mixed 48 gallons of 93 octane with 40 plus gallons of year old,stale gas,mother****er!!. No way I was going to chance running this mixture under boost so off came the blower belt,innercooler tube, switched map sensor,ecu and prop. After a few small glitches/leaks we were able to open it up,running a std26 pitch prop we ran 72 mph at 5100 rpms,with a labbed 26 it should run right around 74-75 mph at 5400 which was where the hp peak was when I dynoed the motor N/A. Now I'm going to have to take the boat out and run it all day set-up N/A to run this mix of old/new gas out. I did get to race one boat though, A un-named oso'er's 28 ft checkmate w/525 sc that he just added a innercooler and dart heads on,last words I heard from him was something about tearing out a refridgerator and un-necessary cabin anemitys that must be holding him back . I was a nice guy though,I let HIM run the labbed 26 I borrowed so that I only beat him by 4 mph instead of 6 or 7,Smitty
Old 08-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah yes the fun of boating!! Schooling the uneducated.... Congrats on being on the water, now get back to work, you have been off too long!!

I dropped mine in the boat yesterday, hoping the wife will hook up all the stuff while I am at work today.. (fat chance).. So soon I hope.

D*ck
Old 08-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Finally water tested the boat today, nothing real exciting to report though. Last year I ran gas in boat down to empty,figured there was about 10 gallons of year old gas in the tank (it showed empty,plus we ran it on the hose a hour bleeding power steering and checking for leaks),went to the gas station,was going to put 70 gallons of 93 octane in then top it off with 10 gallons of 110 to make sure I had enough octane to test run at 10-12 psi boost without detonation (holds 90-95 gallons of gas). Didn't even hit 50 gallons and started blowing gas out the over flow,so I had just mixed 48 gallons of 93 octane with 40 plus gallons of year old,stale gas,mother****er!!. No way I was going to chance running this mixture under boost so off came the blower belt,innercooler tube, switched map sensor,ecu and prop. After a few small glitches/leaks we were able to open it up,running a std26 pitch prop we ran 72 mph at 5100 rpms,with a labbed 26 it should run right around 74-75 mph at 5400 which was where the hp peak was when I dynoed the motor N/A. Now I'm going to have to take the boat out and run it all day set-up N/A to run this mix of old/new gas out. I did get to race one boat though, A un-named oso'er's 28 ft checkmate w/525 sc that he just added a innercooler and dart heads on,last words I heard from him was something about tearing out a refridgerator and un-necessary cabin anemitys that must be holding him back . I was a nice guy though,I let HIM run the labbed 26 I borrowed so that I only beat him by 4 mph instead of 6 or 7,Smitty
Damn, I think I'd be getting the syphon hose out and have a neighborhood discount gas day before I went to all that trouble of changing everything over for N/A. Good to hear your on the water.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Anybody looking for a fridge
Old 08-07-2007, 01:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by turnerrd
Damn, I think I'd be getting the syphon hose out and have a neighborhood discount gas day before I went to all that trouble of changing everything over for N/A. Good to hear your on the water.
It only takes about 20 minutes to change back and forth between N/A and blown with my set-up,plus I just HAD to see if I could beat old Navys blown checkmate with my blower not operating . Our "friendly" competition goes waaay back to snowmobiles and street cars,it was actually cool of him to tow his boat over 150 miles to go water testing with me in case I needed help or a tow so I shouldn't really rag on him too much. I called every prop place today to try and buy a 26 pitch labbed r/h merc 4 blade for this weekend,3 plus weeks minimum,so finding the prop I need for this season to run my N/A set-up isn't going to happen,Smitty