Hard starting >

Hard starting

Notices

Hard starting

Old 08-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hard starting

Has anyone had a problem with fuel draining out of carb into intake? Since a new rebuild and new eldebrock 750 marine carbs, after boat sits for a week it takes a good minute or so of turning engine over to get any fuel pressure to carb. Thought this was anti syphon issue and changed them at the tank. No help. Did not do this before rebuild and when I had holleys on engines.Changed holleys cause not marine. Last time I decided to pull air cleaners and look inside carb. What I found was wet fuel in intake.This was after sitting 2 weeks. Mind you that when I opened the throttle up no fuel was squirted down in there. Mechanical fuel pumps were changed at overhaul. Engines are 1989 454's warmed over and dynoed to 469 hp. Both engines are doing same thing with the exception of one carb being sooty looking. Motors have 45 hrs. Also when they do get pumped up with fuel (gauge @ 6 psi) and fire off it appears that there is a hint of dis-coloration in the water at idle. Raw fuel ?
Thanks for anyones input and help.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

My stock merc Weber carb was the same way.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Registered

How about a switch to electric fuel pump(s)? I changed mine over, and it fires right off. I am using an Edelbrock carb also with choke plate completely removed (who boats in the winter???). I turn the key on, fuel pump relay trips on, pump the throttle 2-3 times, 10% open, crank, and it pops right off in 1-2 seconds ice cold. Warm, same thing, no throttle pump. Fires right up at idle.

1 minute of cranking seems like bad fuel pump, or water seperator not tight (sucking air), plugged, something. 1 minute is a very long time. Almost starter overheat, actually, if it is seriously 60 seconds.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Registered

Have thought about it but hate to do any more wiring and plumbing. What all is required to do this? Was hoping there was some sort of adjustment I was missing. My choke is wired open. Don't use it.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Registered

I use a electric pump on my holly, main thing is because your carbs are doing that make sure you fix the problem also change the oil the gas will build up in the oil and blow your bearings out of your lower end.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

From the Edelbrock website:

Q: My carburetor is flooding, what do I check?

A: Carburetor flooding can be cause by the following conditions. First, verify, with a fuel pressure gauge that the pressure does not exceed 6.5 psi. Floats should be set to the factory spec of 7/16, (see owners manual)(download here). Needles & Seats can be clogged with debris, not allowing them to close. They can be cleaned and checked when the float level is being verified. Floats can be sinking due to a leak. Verify floats are free of any fluid by shaking the float, or submersing it in a safe, non flammable fluid.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Registered

If I had any of the above conditions, am I to suppose this could cause the drainage of fuel from carb into intake while sitting for a week?
I have emailed tech support at edelbrock but have not heard anything yet.
Thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by team Tickfaw
I have emailed tech support at edelbrock but have not heard anything yet.
Good luck with that !

I am still waiting on a reply from 3 years ago ...
Old 08-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Tickfaw good question, I can assume that you did not turn the motor over before looking into the venturis after sitting for a week?? If you turn the motor over and a needle/seat is stuck or has a piece of trash fuel will obviously run out the vent tubes into the venturi area. The fuel pump will also take a long time to pressure up the fuel line or it won't pressure up at all because fuel is leaking out of the fuel lines. Edelbrock carb construction supposedly will not let gas "leak" into the venturis, figuring out how it got there will solve the problem.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Registered

Thats right, I did not turn the engine over. I am going back to river friday and check again. After I turn it over for a while, she will bust off and go right to idle and sounds good. Just worried that all this is not good for starters.