Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What would cause this MELTDOWN in an ALPHA drive?? >

What would cause this MELTDOWN in an ALPHA drive??

Notices

What would cause this MELTDOWN in an ALPHA drive??

Old 08-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default What would cause this MELTDOWN in an ALPHA drive??

To start with this is not my outdrive

I am helping out a friend who's boat over heated Friday night.

He told me he has not changed the impeller(sp) in 10 years. So I took the lower half apart and this is what I found. What would cause the pickup tube to melt? And what are the other pieces that melted and fell out also. On Bams website I think I see something that is called a filler block, but I do not see the other parts. All the ALPHAs I have done only had the water pump and pickup tube.
I did notice the bellows for the exhaust broke. I don't know why that would make a difference. I just assumed it has been broke for years and he did not know.
Thanks
JIM
Attached Thumbnails What would cause this MELTDOWN in an ALPHA drive??-100_0513.jpg   What would cause this MELTDOWN in an ALPHA drive??-100_0514.jpg   What would cause this MELTDOWN in an ALPHA drive??-100_0511.jpg  

Old 08-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well 1BIGJIM, the exhaust ran dry and burned everything up. The impeller isn't wasted. Did just one side exhaust burn? I only see one exhaust flapper,unless that other wad of rubber is it, the square rubber Fits under rear side of pump. Exhaust elbow must have a restriction. Clean or replace both of them as needed. The exhaust flapper is in the down tube replace when you remove elbow.Check both sides. locate the other flapper.Good luck.
Jim
Old 08-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Registered

Second thought, If everything is clear no restrictions it would be possible something blocked the water intakes leaving just enough water passing to keep pump cool but not enough to keep exhaust cool. The bellows out side the boat directs thru prop add is not connected on both side on big motors.
Jim
Old 08-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Registered

Its a 4 cylinder. I never thought of the flapper. He left the boat in the water overnight so it must be above the water line. I still need to know what the Square piece is in the lower unit that melted and fell out? I was told today it was so hot the seats above them where hot to take off.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Registered

The square piece is called a filler wall. it fits into the upper housing above the water pump, It must help keep hot water off of pump. Did the motor overheat? How bad?
Jim
Old 08-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Registered

Over heat, the bellows off the engine have a hole in them! I can not believe the engine still runs. Do you need the square piece? I am sure that is an item they do not stock.

I still have no idea what caused the over heating!

I want to get this thing back together tomorrow, since I am going out of town. I volunteered to fix this under the influence
Old 08-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Registered

That piece is there for a reason. It could have caught some trash. Motors don't like to get hot. You should check compression and make sure the exhaust manifold didn't crank. Good luck.
Jim
Old 08-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
That piece is there for a reason. It could have caught some trash. Motors don't like to get hot. You should check compression and make sure the exhaust manifold didn't crank. Good luck.
Jim
Thanks for the help. I just want to get the lower unit back together so I can fill my obligation. I am sure there it there fpr a reason I am not trying to be smarter than an engineer.

PS I have been drinking beer on the river this afternoon

Any idea if that is an item that would be stocked? And again I am stumped as to why this roach coach(Bayliner) overheated.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Registered

Don't know, the part number is 815932. Good luck
Jim
Old 08-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With how hot the drive got, I would make sure to pressure test it when you put it back together.