Mallory Ignition Boxes >

Mallory Ignition Boxes

Notices

Mallory Ignition Boxes

Old 08-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mallory Ignition Boxes

After doing several searches on ignition boxes the name Mallory does not seem to come up much. So I was wondering if any of you have used this brand. We have had three new ones go bad since the beginning of the season, which for us only stated the week after 4th of July

One just took a dump when out on the lake, the other one's touch screen is all screwd up, up is down and so forth, and then the one we bought on Friday started smoking the moment Ian connected the wires. This caused us to miss the Poker Run on Lake Erie

So far two are in route from Summit, under warranty. The third one was bought through a local auto parts store, it has to be returned to them, then sent back to Mallory and then they will make an evaluation in about 4 weeks to see who's fault, us or them. I have a call in to Mallory's sales mgr to see what he says.

So if you know anything about Mallory let us know since we are rethinking the decision of switching from MSD boxes

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 08-13-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Registered

Mallory makes a good box, as does MSD & Crane. You'll find more MSD boxes out there than just about anyone else, which makes getting replacements much simplier.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Registered

we talked to the vp of mallory and then the product mgr, turns out NONE of the mallory ignition boxes are marine rated. Our problems had nothing to do with marine use. I told him they should make sure places like Summit know that. In the mean time they were very concerned and willing to refund our money.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Registered

http://www.jacobselectronics.com/def...spx?BrandID=12
Old 08-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Registered

I know this sounds confusing, but the marine division does not sell ignition boxes yet, they sell a lot of ignition related products and I believe one for outboards, but the boxes that most of us would use are not on the market yet. I just doubled checked and spoke to the VP John Bender (nice guy) he said they will have a product out by the end of this year or early 08 but currently they do not sell one. The boxes we bought came from the other Mallory division which is for cars engines. Each time I get involved in this parts stuff I learn something new.

I gave Mr Bender the link to OSO and he will probably become a sponsor and I think I got him to be a sponsor for next years poker run in Lake Erie

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 08-13-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Banned

MSD is my first choice. We have had excellent success with the product. If you really want to make the switch I would use Crane.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Mallory for years on the street. Back in the day the only choices we had was stock dual points, Mallory, or Accel. No electronic or HEI. Only Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth and Chevrolet had the option of "Solid State" or "Capacitive Discharge" ignition.

Mallory's catalog, under marine, recommends various coils and electronic systems to go with their marine distributors. You're saying the parts aren't marine rated?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Registered

The only part I am talking about is the IGNITION BOX, the only ones they offer are only sold in their street division. They reason they are not marine rated is they feel they are not sealed enough to give them their stamp of approval for boats (moisture). However the Marine division is going to be introducing a STARTER BOX in the near future (by or before early 08) that they "say" it will be comprable/more reliable to the more expensive MSD boxes, but not as costly.

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 08-14-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A gentalman, just had a new set of blower motors built here not to long ago, one of the box,s went bad and let the ignition do what ever it wanted, needless to say, toasted the engine..
John
Old 08-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Registered

Donna what do you mean by starter box?

Quick Reply: Mallory Ignition Boxes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.