Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Lost ~17mph@WOT and ~10mph@3000RPM (cruise) Please any ideas? >

Lost ~17mph@WOT and ~10mph@3000RPM (cruise) Please any ideas?

Notices

Lost ~17mph@WOT and ~10mph@3000RPM (cruise) Please any ideas?

Old 08-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost ~17mph@WOT and ~10mph@3000RPM (cruise) Please any ideas?

Hey everyone... Picked up a white/red/black Sunsation Rocket with the 454/330/Bravo1 combo last month. Nice clean boat, and runs great (or ran great.. see below):

I think something's up with my drive. Boat did ~65mph at ~4600RPM and cruised at ~39mph@3000RPMs. Now, 4 trips out on the lake later, I'm getting ~28mph@3100RPMs and ~48MPH@Full throttle which is only like 3900RPM now. I've also noticed what seems to be "prop blowout" when coming up on plane which definitly did not happen to me the first couple of times out. Something is wrong. Noticed that there's a resevoir in the back that says "Automatic Transmission fluid only" that is WAY below the add line... wonder if that's the cause of my problems. The warning buzzer went off the last two times I went out.

I didn't think that I had a transmission in my boat, but I could be wrong for sure... still learning about boating. And I was thinking that maybe the engine is just tired (although the boat only has ~430hrs on it), but 3000RPMs should be the same speed in the same conditions regardless of engine power.

Like I said... ANY help at all is appreciated. I'm going to fill up the resevoir and try to take it out tomorrow to see if that's all it was. All I can do is hope...

-=Mike G.

Last edited by TurbosRfun; 08-27-2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 08-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure its not a TRS with a Mercamatic or Borg tranny? - Jeff
Old 08-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Could the prop blow out really be tranny slippage? I've also heard of boats taking on water in the hull. Then the person loaded it and the four trailer tires looked like they were about to pop. That is rare though. Might just be a slipping tranny (TRS). However, slipping trannies normally result in higher RPM's. Make sure your hull is dry and boat doesn't appear heavier than normal.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Power trim fluid low? Trim not working could change speed that much. If it is a bravo there is no transmission normally.
Good luck'
Greg
Old 08-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

surely it dont have a trans,
Old 08-27-2007, 11:03 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

If its a Bravo then it does not have a transmission.

The res that says trans fluid only is probably for the trim tabs. It would not make an alarm go off.
3 things will make the alarm go off. Low drive lube, low oil pressure or high water temp.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably have a bravo drive. I hope you didn't break the bottom out of it. If all your fluids look good and the compression checks out take a look at the bottom.
Jim
Old 08-28-2007, 05:23 AM
Registered

Engine coupler?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
You probably have a bravo drive. I hope you didn't break the bottom out of it. If all your fluids look good and the compression checks out take a look at the bottom.
Jim
You're talking about the lower half of the drive? Or bottom end of the hull itself, or motor bottom end?

-=Mike
Old 08-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Registered

Mike- with such a drastic drop in speed there is some thing awfully wrong. You haven't posted your drive type. I'm guessing you have a bravo.Tell us specifically what engine drive package you have. Any way if the bottom is deflecting you could loose that kind of speed. I hope that is not the case, but look in bilge for cracks around bulkheads and stringers. Sound the bottom under the engine. If you do have a transmission it needs a good looking at. If your coupler was slipping you may smell burning rubber in the boat and it probably would have givin up by now. Good luck and please post specific details of engine package.
Jim

Quick Reply: Lost ~17mph@WOT and ~10mph@3000RPM (cruise) Please any ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.