Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
so should i stay away from 460 ford with omc? >

so should i stay away from 460 ford with omc?

Notices

so should i stay away from 460 ford with omc?

Old 08-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man there are some different stories coming from everyone. It is getting the shift cable replaced as we speak. and the boat is 91 so it should have the newer imput shaft and not the ball type. It has thru hull exhaust on it now, so I dont know about manifolds...
Old 08-31-2007, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stlliberator
man there are some different stories coming from everyone. It is getting the shift cable replaced as we speak. and the boat is 91 so it should have the newer imput shaft and not the ball type. It has thru hull exhaust on it now, so I dont know about manifolds...
Jim's been doing this for quite some time. I think I would take his opinion into consideration. If you listen to some of the above reponses, they go something like, "I had" meaning past tense. While they may have been fine, you are still going to find it very difficult, or expensive, or both, to find parts in 2007. I have a good friend that has a Vindicator (I think) with twin Fords/OMC's. He has had absolutely nothing but trouble with them. Good luck with it if you decide to go through with the deal.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, If there are no parts aval. That doesn't sound good to me.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:56 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Use to run the 460's in jet boats wide open up and down the lake all day long- bulltetproof motors in my opinion - not easy to make big power though if you want to do upgrades.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Registered

A lot of people keep saying there are no parts available. Well, you better inform Bombardier of that because everything we order from them seems to get to the shop. I work part time for a marine service shop in queens who primarily services OMC / Volvo. Most of the broken drives I see are usually because someone hit something, or they didn't maintain the drive properly. Are parts more expensive? Maybe, I don't do the pricing. The Ford marine parts are more expensive, and they dont make the performance stuff like they do for Chevy. The boat's been going since 91 with that drive? That says something for it. I have my boat 10 years with the same Cobra drive. I change the oil every season with OMC drive oil, and I don't exactly baby it. It's still going strong. 383 in a 21' Liberator, 60mph WOT. Would I buy another one? Yes.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Liberator21
A lot of people keep saying there are no parts available. Well, you better inform Bombardier of that because everything we order from them seems to get to the shop. I work part time for a marine service shop in queens who primarily services OMC / Volvo. Most of the broken drives I see are usually because someone hit something, or they didn't maintain the drive properly. Are parts more expensive? Maybe, I don't do the pricing. The Ford marine parts are more expensive, and they dont make the performance stuff like they do for Chevy. The boat's been going since 91 with that drive? That says something for it. I have my boat 10 years with the same Cobra drive. I change the oil every season with OMC drive oil, and I don't exactly baby it. It's still going strong. 383 in a 21' Liberator, 60mph WOT. Would I buy another one? Yes.
I don't think anyone said there are NO parts available. What I said was they will be difficult to find and more expensive than the Merc equipment. Maybe in Queens you have a distributor that's nearby and keeps a great inventory of parts. No such luck around here.

There are people that have had great luck with Ford engines and/or OMC drives, obviously you are one of them. But I bet if you took an overall survey of current or past OMC I/O owners, you might find the results interesting.

Just My .02
Old 09-01-2007, 09:10 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

STLIBERATOR: Is this a cone shift king cobra or is it the king cobra that has the standard omc cobra upper with the larger lower unit, that was also called a KingCobra???
Old 09-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Registered

Some of the King Cobras had Borg Warner Trannies in front of them.
Jim
Old 09-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Registered

well I went and looked at the boat again today, the first time I went to look at the boat I never saw they outdrive itself. I saw the outdrive today and its a king cobra it looks like the volva pinta outdrive. Its big, its not the old stupid white looking one. Also what do you think the top speed of that boat would be with the 460 in it? Would it run better then say the same boat with a 350/260 horse merc? Help me out guys, there is only a few weeks left around here of boating, and Im dying here not being on the water..
Old 09-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Registered

ok could people post pics of the cobra outdrives, and Ill tell you what one it has..wish I had a camera at the shop today could have snapped a pic of it today...

Quick Reply: so should i stay away from 460 ford with omc?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.