Odd issue with 454 mag

Notices

Odd issue with 454 mag

Old 09-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd issue with 454 mag

Ok guys,
I 'm running down the lake and I can smell oil burning. I stop to see if I can see a leak or something. When I lift the hatch smoke rolls out. After all is cleared I notice this smoke is coming from the two hoses that come from the valve covers to the Flame arrester. What gives? it has perfect oil pressure, water temp is fine. Is there a chance that the oil is getting too hot and burning. I don't have an oil temp gauge, or an oil cooler. could there be any other reason for this? If I run easy it won't hardly smoke at all, but if I go for a brisk cruise or WTFO it comes out pretty bad. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Anthony
Old 09-04-2007, 06:24 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Time to check engine health - compression test and/or leakdown test.

Too hot of oil shouldn't cause the smoke, however it can lead to increased engine wear which can then lead issues like this.

The 454 Mag engine's did come with small oil cooler. You may not see it, but follow water inlet hose and you should see it. If you do not have one, look into getting one. Combo power steering/oil cooler is typically used by Merc.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like excessive blowby. At Wot you have more,that's why you notice it then.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Registered

When I bought my boat one engine was missing the windage tray that mounts to the main caps. It made a horrible burnt engine oil smell due to oil splashing excessively on the pistons. It would also cavitate the oil pump at WOT due to blown around oil which could be witnessed by the pressure gage dropping.

If your oil pressure remains solid and your oil level is not too high causing splashing, then I would consider installing a PCV valve. That fixed my windage tray burnt oil problem until I could get in there and install one.

BT
Old 09-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Registered

Ive thought of all three things. First it does not have an oil cooler. the boat originally had a 300hp 454. The engine had less than 5 hours on it when I took possesion. I was maticulus with it's break in and oil changes i changed it every 5 hours until I had put 15 on it. I then swithed to Mobil 1 15-50 full synthetic. I check my oil everytime I go out and I haven't noticed any loss of oil. I know that I need to preform a compression/leak down on the engine, But I feel with only 60 hours on it that I SHOUDN'T find any problems. Yes I had planned to put PCV valves on it to see if that would help. any other Ideas out there would be great.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need an oil cooler and an oil temp gauge. I bet your oil temp is over 300 degrees without one. That will cause some smoke out the breathers. The stock 454 or 502 Magnum cooler is marginal if you like to run hard, I'd use one the size of the HP 500. Buying one used is a crapshoot. You never know if someone blew up their engine and left little bits of shrapnel inside.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Registered

Sounds like blowby. Could have lost a ring, rings, part of a ring etc. I would do a compression test on all cylinders.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Registered

If I have excessive blowby shouldn't the oil get past the rings and into the cylinder where it would bet burned and out of the exhaust?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ohmthis
If I have excessive blowby shouldn't the oil get past the rings and into the cylinder where it would bet burned and out of the exhaust?
You wouldn't notice that unless it was real bad. I upgraded my cooler and have stock oil/ ps cooler I'll sell you if you want it. Promise no junk in it.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ohmthis
The pressure is going the other way, into the crankcase and out the breathers.

Quick Reply: Odd issue with 454 mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.