Fuel Pickup Problem

Notices

Fuel Pickup Problem

Old 09-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pickup Problem

I think I just got a fuel system problem. The boat was running perfectly fine, then the engine just choked off and wouldn't restart. Got back to the dock and started to troubleshoot. Not getting any pressure reading on the fuel pressure gauge, so i poured a little fuel into the carb and it fired right up, burnt that off and shut down again. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. Still no fuel pressure. It started and burned up the fuel in the filter then shut down when that ran out. I checked all the hoses and they seem to be fine. I think my problem is picking up fuel from the gas tank. Can someone tell me how the fuel pickup system is supposed to work? When i disconnected the 90 degree fuel fitting from the tank, there is nothing attached to it. I thought that it would have a hose of some sort going to the bottom of the tank. However, this is just something I assumed would be there. I've never gone into a fuel tank before. As it sits, the fuel line from the filter goes straight to that 90 degree fitting and screws to the top of the tank. How could it pick up fuel?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. It could be a dumb question, and frankly i hope it is.

r,
Lance
Old 09-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last season I had a similar problem (but not as bad). My port engines fuel pressure started varying while running. I did the same as you. Changed the fuel filter , then the pump. No help. Removed the 90* elbow from the tank to find the pickup tube cracked at the soldier joint allowing it to suck some air hence the unstable pressure. Made up a new and good to go
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Pickup Problem-dsc01674-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by mopower; 09-06-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shore Thing
When i disconnected the 90 degree fuel fitting from the tank, there is nothing attached to it. I thought that it would have a hose of some sort going to the bottom of the tank.
There should be. It should look just like the one that Mopower posted a picture of. The weld broke on yours, and its in the bottom of the tank. If you have access to a good welder, he can weld a tube back 0n, or make you a new one.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Can these be bought somewhere, or do i need to get a welder to do it? Also, I'm guessing i need to fish the old one out right? that could be a pain depending on where it is in the gas tank.

thanks guys!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

also, what about using a fuel pickup hose instead of a metal tube. Has anyone done this? Results?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the old one in there. It's unlikely to cause a problem.
Mine was soldered on. If you go to a hardware store and buy come copper tubing, you could solder on a new one yourself.
The old one had an anti-siphon valve at the bottom. If you want a direct replacement for the whole unit, anti-sophon valve, tube, fitting, you'll probably have to get that from the boat manufacturer.
A rubber tube will most likely bounce around and suck air.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

thanks rdoactive. I'll give it a shot.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Registered

Shore thing-

I had the same issues. My Velocity had an anti siphon valve at the top of the tank screwed into the elbow on the pickup. My valve was stuck/worn out. The guy at the marine store told me a ton of boats had this issue this year becuase of the ethanol. Replaced the value and no issue. 5 bucks! Check your valve - if the ball in the valve does not move with ease by blowing into it this is likely the issue.

Good luck

Brian
23' Velocity 383 Stroker