overheating and water in the bilge >

overheating and water in the bilge

Notices

overheating and water in the bilge

Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating and water in the bilge

All this talk of ethanol and phase seperation, made me go out today to try and burn some old fuelo and my tech wants the tank low for winterization. Running the twin 496HO's hard, all is well but all of a sudden, an alarm. Port engine sputters and I shut them both down. The port side was running 220?+/-. Let them cool down to about 180 and fired up fine but in a few seconds the alarm was on again. Decided to limp back to the lift on the starboard only. Put her on the lift and gave it a few hrs. to cool down. Once cool, dropped back in the water. Fired up fine but no water exiting the exhaust and bilge came on. Opened hatch and water being dumped right into the bilge. I'm assuming a hose came loose or ripped but engine too hot to try and trace. I'm not going to be able to get back to it until next weekend. It's tight w/ twin 496HO's in a 33 Baja Outlaw. Any advice? Should I be able to repair/replace w/o pulling too much stuff off? TIA.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a bunch of hoses under the motor. You can only hope it's an easy reach. Good Luck
Jim
Old 09-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
There are a bunch of hoses under the motor. You can only hope it's an easy reach. Good Luck
Jim
They already had to pull the engines to do water pumps in the spring. Are you telling me I have to pull an engine b/c of a hose?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Registered

No, You'll have to see what happened. I hope not.
Jim
Old 09-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Registered

Please, please, please, I have a bunch of relatives coming this weekend from Europe who want a ride. Moreover, it'll be a real pain to get it off the lift, down to the ramp and on the trailer on only one motor.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Registered

fatdaddy, when you lowered the boat was it rushing in before you started it? Does it only rush in while it's running? Do you have a flush attachment on the boat? Turn on hose does it leak? where?
Jim
Old 09-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

fatdaddy, they had to pull the engine for water pumps? You need to find a thinner mechanic!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
fatdaddy, when you lowered the boat was it rushing in before you started it? Does it only rush in while it's running? Do you have a flush attachment on the boat? Turn on hose does it leak? where?
Jim
Yeah only when it's running. Thank God. And no flush attachment. ???
Old 09-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BadDog
fatdaddy, they had to pull the engine for water pumps? You need to find a thinner mechanic!
I was thinking the same thing. I think he was thin before he met me.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Registered

There are a bout a dozen clamps on the pressure side of raw water. You better go and check before weekend. Water pump is low on starboard side of engine, hose connect to bottom of exhaust manifold and up to cooler across back of motor. From the cooler hose leads down again to oil cooler and exhaust manifold than lower still to fuel cooler. Hose from fuel cooler leads to front of engine and up to heat exchanger.
Hope for an easy one. I will pray for you.
Jim

Quick Reply: overheating and water in the bilge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.