Super charger on 454 >

Super charger on 454

Notices

Super charger on 454

Old 10-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

You should get a V6-14 module for your TB IV ignition. Set total timing around 30*. The 24* module will give too much advance and I doubt you will get it to idle decent with only 6* initial.

Stock Merc fuel pump should be ok, but you could get one of the high volume Carter mechanical pumps to be safe.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, and you might ant to try a cooler plug.

Originally Posted by Griff
You should get a V6-14 module for your TB IV ignition. Set total timing around 30*. The 24* module will give too much advance and I doubt you will get it to idle decent with only 6* initial.

Stock Merc fuel pump should be ok, but you could get one of the high volume Carter mechanical pumps to be safe.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

the dist, will just drop in as normal, you will need to space the thermo housing to the stbd side just a bit, and all the v-belts are the same, I ran a 177 on a 454 with out a cooler for years with no problems, I only ran the boat at lake powell, elevation is around 3600 -3700, I ran the smallest pulley I could get and it made about 6lbs boost, pistons where 8.75:1 and timing set to 30 deg, once dialed in it was a turn key and play, 5 years never had a problem---until I wanted more...
Old 10-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoozeyurdaddy
--until I wanted more...

Why is it, that this always happens?

Darrell.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I planned to go to the R41 AC plug. Thanks for reminding me though.

I plan to buy boost gages and fuel pressure gages. Any recommendations there? I have gaffrig gages now but am curious if these new gages should be mechanical to the gage or electric with a sender.

High volume carter, sounds good. 100gph I guess.

Q about the module. Would the only reason I go to a v-6 module be for idle, or is the curve germaine too? If its just idle I'll start with the 6* and see how that goes. If its the curve, then I won't.

hooser, tsat will need to be all redone anyway due to my closed cooling. Good to hear about your good luck. I hope I am so lucky.

BT
Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Registered

Ok sorry to jack the thread but i need some clarification.

I work for a Performance shop, we do tuning/performance fabrication on modded v8s all the time. now im not familiar with this 177 blower you all are refering to so this may be where im being thrown off.

I know on the small block v8s we have fun with as well as v6s and i4s compression ratios can be anywhere from 9.3-10:1 and we can run 8-15psi on the motors no problem. now this is with turbos im more of the turbo guy and my partner is the s/c guy and tuner.

so basically just to name a few cars we have done.

99 v6 mustang COMPLETLY stock motor, 9.36:1 comp ratio. we twin turboed it with EVOIII Big 16g's running 17lbs of boost, a motor that normally creates 160's to the wheels, with this kit made 450hp/475tq @ 17psi and ran 10.9@127

01 Sunfire with an 04 2.2 dohc ecotec swap, once again completly stock motor, single turbo t3/t4 t04e 57trim .63 stg III exhaust. dynoed n/a 132hp, with 8lbs of boost did 227hp/220tq, we never got to run it at the track because previous to the turbo 3rd gear syncro was going bad and finally went the day before track day we were expecting to be in the 12s with traction :-D (dont laugh at the car, we love the looks on v8's faces when we walk past them)

ok so with that in mind. those were bone stock motors. why are you all limiting this setup to 3psi? its just not making sense to me, now im not saying run 20psi. but whats wrong with 6-8psi on this setup?

i only know about automotive performance and i know there are somethings that change when it gets into marine setups so please correct me where im wrong cuz this is very insteresting stuff.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jlaudio29
Ok sorry to jack the thread but i need some clarification.
You failed to mention intercooler, timing and octane in your setups. How much boost would you run without an intercooler, unmodified ignition curve, and 87-89 octane?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by handfulz28
You failed to mention intercooler, timing and octane in your setups. How much boost would you run without an intercooler, unmodified ignition curve, and 87-89 octane?
Yes both setups had intercoolers, timing was adv on the v6, the i4 was retarded about 1 or 2 degrees all around, i think it was running anywhere from 17-20 across the curve, we put a very mild tune on it becuase the car is map and it only had a 1bar map in it we were waiting for a 2bar and retune it on 12 psi. the v6 ran on both 93octane and c16, we ran more timing when we had c16 in it, still same boost though.

Me personally i dont prefer to do any boosted setup with out some sort of intercooler setup. and i would never run any boosted application under 93 octane, the diffrence in price isnt worth what your risking. as far as timing, id assume it would be modified once the assembly was put together :-D
Old 10-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Registered

You could also add a thicker head gasket to drop compression some more, I think Flatout makes a thick copper head gasket that could drop you CR by a point or more. I have never used them, so I have no idea on if they are any good. The forced air from the blower might make up for some of the inefficiency of the larger gasket
Old 10-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Registered

With a 24 degree module and only 28-30 total advance, you'll have very little initial advance resulting in a poor idle (surging and fouled plugs). With the V6 module, you'll have about 10 degrees of advance, so your initial advance will be higher. Blower motos idle better on more initial.
So use the V6-14, set your total around 28, dont worry about initial. Check your plugs and you can vary your total advance on how they look.
If you still have plug fouling, you can add an MSD module.
Gary

Originally Posted by blue thunder
I planned to go to the R41 AC plug. Thanks for reminding me though.

I plan to buy boost gages and fuel pressure gages. Any recommendations there? I have gaffrig gages now but am curious if these new gages should be mechanical to the gage or electric with a sender.

High volume carter, sounds good. 100gph I guess.

Q about the module. Would the only reason I go to a v-6 module be for idle, or is the curve germaine too? If its just idle I'll start with the 6* and see how that goes. If its the curve, then I won't.

hooser, tsat will need to be all redone anyway due to my closed cooling. Good to hear about your good luck. I hope I am so lucky.

BT

Quick Reply: Super charger on 454

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.