Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Add on hydraulic steering - what is it? >

Add on hydraulic steering - what is it?

Notices

Add on hydraulic steering - what is it?

Old 09-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Add on hydraulic steering - what is it?

I am needing to have my starboard gimbal (Bravo 1) redone this winter due to upper pin hole wear and loose steering.

The boat has typical internal power steering with cable.

From what I can gather, and correct me if I am wrong, is that you can add hydraulic ram(s) on the back that are actuated by the cable and control valve, thus negating the need to install a new helm and all the associated lines and such.

Since my boat is only in the 60-65 mph range I feel that full hydraulic is overkill, and too expensive for my needs.

How do these add on systems work, and are there any drawbacks? Should I simply keep my internal steering?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Greg

Old 09-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by point92mach
are there any drawbacks?
Yes, there is still a sloppy cable in the system that can fail. Just my $.02 but I would spend the extra money and go full hydraulic.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had Lathem add-on on my previous 27 Fountain that was an 83mph boat. Solid as a rock. My only complaint was it was stiffer at idle speeds, but once the rpms was bumped up a tad, all was good. Full is best, but add-on is fine as long as the rest of your steering is fine.

Anything can fail, sloppy cable to a fitting failure.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 09-17-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Registered

there is a set up from DREW MARINE ITS A single or twin bolt on stablizer like on 4x4s jeeps trucks a friend has that on his super boat with a trs drive set up 75mph boat it helped him and a lot cheaper. I have a single set up add on and it sucks ,I bought the rest of the kit last winter but some azz holes stole my whole drive set up in march, so this winter I will be installing a new drive,rams steering rams and full steering up to the dash. I was getting chine walk at 75 to 83gps it was bad and that was with the add on. SO IF YOU ARE NOT GOING ALL THE WAY AND THE BOAT RUNS UNDER 70 GO WITH A SINGLE OR TWIN DREW MARINE RAM SET UP i THINK THERE 300 OR SO A PIECE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. ART

Last edited by AIR TIME; 09-17-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Had Lathem add-on on my previous 27 Fountain that was an 83mph boat. Solid as a rock. My only complaint was it was stiffer at idle speeds, but once the rpms was bumped up a tad, all was good. Full is best, but add-on is fine as long as the rest of your steering is fine.

Anything can fail, sloppy cable to a fitting failure.
MY STEERING WAS ALL NEW ADD ON SUCKS WHEN YOU GET INTO THE 80sBUT I DO OWN A BAJA HAA HAHH WITH TWINS US1 IS RIGHT ABOUT IT BEING TOUGH AT LOW SPEEDS, I DROVE SOME WITH THAT SET UP. US1 WHATS UP LONG TIME HOPE EVERT THINK IS GOOD FOR YOU , ART

Last edited by AIR TIME; 09-17-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Yes, there is still a sloppy cable in the system that can fail. Just my $.02 but I would spend the extra money and go full hydraulic.
HOW TRUE I found that out. even with new cable set up
Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

I had twin ram add on marine Machine on my Pantera. It was stiff at idle. You had to turn the wheel slowly. Once I got used to it, it was not an issue. If I bumped it into neutral while turning, that also helped. There was some minmal slop at the steering wheel because of the cable. Unlike full hydraulic, it still had a slight pull to left at the steering wheel.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Registered

I have Zieger marine full hyd. Massive steering rams .... compare their equipment... Was told it is stock on skater.. If anything its some overkill on my boat... better safe than sorry....
Old 09-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Registered

NOTE: sucks if you lose port engine... I think you can run dual p/steering pumps.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

These add on systems are stiff at idle, i can vouch for that. I currently have the marine machine add on. If a full hydraulic is installed, is it any easier at idle?

Quick Reply: Add on hydraulic steering - what is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.