Fountain Questions >

Fountain Questions

Notices

Fountain Questions

Old 10-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fountain Questions

I just bought a slightly used Fountain Fever 29 and I have 2 questions.
1) First, I noticed a lean towards the left side while at rest and while driving. I opened the engine hatch and noticed the water tank (for sink) was completely full. Thinking it was a weight/balance issue, I emptied the tank. Same problem.
Any ideas????
2) After a couple of outings, I noticed some small cracks in the finish on the gunwale just below the windshield. They appear random and I dont recall seeing them before. Anyone shed any light as to what caused it, is it normal, and what to do about it?
Thanks.
Hopper
Old 10-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the board. Many Fountain owners will chime in. Meantime have you tried seeing how weight it takes to correct the list at rest? Checked hull or hidden areas for water being retained? Do you have trim tabs?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Registered

I didnt think of trying weight to correct but its a good idea. I'll let you know as soon as I do it. I checked the hull before I bought and it seemed in very good condition to me. I checked for signs of repairs from inside but didnt see any either. I'll be pulling her out of the water as soon as the weather gets bad and then we'll give it a thorough once over.
On the bright side she's a charm to drive and on my 4th time out I've got her up to 70 MPH on the GPS with throttle at 90% and the drives at 3.5 and the tabs at 2.5 and RPM 5200 all to the best of my recollection and not wanting to take the eyes off the road for too long.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 32 has a slight list to the left while at rest. Don't know of many boats that are perfectly balanced side to side.
Also have a couple hairline cracks at the front corner (passanger side) and rear corner of the side windshield panels (both sides). Appareantly these are the weakest areas. I think it's just cosmetics , in the gel only, from hull flex.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check stringers, frames and lateral bulkheads with a moisture meter. Your surveyor should have noticed the list and automatically checked this.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Registered

Surveyor ?? I bought it used from a dealer. They supposedly checked it and said it was normal and thats what trim tabs are for.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Registered

Never trust a "Used" anything dealer...They just want you to leave with whatever it is they are trying to sell you. You should have had the boat surveyed. I know I will never buy another one without a survey first. I learned the hard way the first time around. Good luck with your new toy and I hope the problem turns out to be miniscule...Oh and welcome to your new addiction...OSO!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sackenhopper
Surveyor ?? I bought it used from a dealer. They supposedly checked it and said it was normal and thats what trim tabs are for.
All the more reason to have it surveyed! Even in a disclosure state the dealers do not always reveal what has happened, (sinking, fire), to a repaired boat. You MUST protect yourself!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Registered

Thanks for the help. I will have it surveyed locally just to know. Any ideas about the hairline cracks appearing along the gunwales? Is it normal ? Do they Buff out ?
Old 10-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to check under the seats...Their could be a big gold medalion with a chain hooked to it making it list to one side. Had to say if before someone else did. Seriously, we had a 32 it sat perfectly level in the water. Check under the step where you go down to the cabin. The door should lift up, it will have a latch on the front. See if their is any water under their just a thought.

Quick Reply: Fountain Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.