mechanical engineer >

mechanical engineer

Notices

mechanical engineer

Old 10-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I gotta disagree with you somewhat. I am behind a desk doing engineering but it is not lack of effort or people skills that has me there. Quite the opposite, both large companies I worked for added more managerial responsibilities and I have a chunk of my MBA started. I stopped that path simply because I did not enjoy that portion of my day/career. Technical problems and solutions are what made me enter engineering and I am fully aware I could make more $$ non the other path I am pretty happy doing technical solutions verse management.
I think the basic notion for the poster and all of our answers is engineering school gives you the logic(tools) to solve problems, what you do with those tools is a matter of personal preference.

Originally Posted by stevesxm
with all due respect to my brethren, if you are stuck behind a desk doing your engineering work then you would have been stuck behind a desk doing whatever other career path you chose. if your icome is stagnant , then it would have been elsewhere. desk engineers are just that. thats where they start and thats where they finish. because that was their choice. i did my internship at TI while i was in school. that taught me absolutely EVERYTHING i needed to know about how long i wanted to spend in the " desk " environment.

within a year of graduation i was running my own shop. within 10 years i was wealthy enough to retire if i had cared to. it was 20 hours a day , 7 days a week 360 days a year...

but it was mine.

the education and the degree are just tools. what you as an individual do with them comes from whats in your chest UNDERNEATH that pocket protector.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:31 AM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Whatever path he decides to go as an engineer, make sure he sits for his Engineer in Training (E.I.T)test and finally the Professional Engineer(P.E.) test. He must pass the EIT before he can take the PE. I suggest he take the EIT rite after graduation, then take the PE immediatley after. Beyond passing the PE exam he will need 4 years of work experience to have the PE designation on his business card.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pb
Whatever path he decides to go as an engineer, make sure he sits for his Engineer in Training (E.I.T)test and finally the Professional Engineer(P.E.) test. He must pass the EIT before he can take the PE. I suggest he take the EIT rite after graduation, then take the PE immediatley after. Beyond passing the PE exam he will need 4 years of work experience to have the PE designation on his business card.
To be able to sit for the PE exam, you must have the 4 years experience first. You can't, to my knowledge, sit for the PE exam prior to having the time in and showing the board that you are in fact ready to do so. Showing the board this consists of 5 letters of recommendation from Professional Engineers registered in the state you are taking the exam that have observed your work. You also have to document all of the projects you've worked on over the 4 years to show them that you have progressively grown in your skills. Not to mention that I doubt most people could pass the exam directly out of school.

Definitely take the exams whatever you do. Once you have the PE license, you ALWAYS have something to fall back on should you choose to do something else. I took my FE (EIT) exam in my last semester of college. That worked out best for me.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:06 PM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks Jay, I stand corrected.

For some reason I thought you could take the test but you could not practice as a PE until 4yrs experience is under your belt.

I missed the boat on this because of my lazyness. However I do ok in the fire protection industry.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Default PE test

I graduated in 1978, at our school, (north ave trade school), we had to take the EIT before senior year (did not have to score high, just take the test). Then in 1984 sat for the 8 hours of fun and games of the PE exam. Took lots of reference materials and did not have "time" to really use any of them.

In my opinion, they want you to wait 4 or more years because you will have forgotten most all the crap you learned that the PE test was/is all about. Took 3 days off to prep and then fun and games for 8 hours. Was sure of only one problem solved well, others went haywire somewhere in the middle. Saved time at the end to "review/critique" my solutions and where I might have made an 'error of judgement' on those that were clearly "orders of magnitude" off. They must have liked it, got an 86. ((my gpa at grad was 2.8)). Somebody said, "not the sharpest tool..."...and I can tie my shoes, but I prefer slip ons.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Registered

Hope I'm not too late with the suggestion of a Mechanical Engineer targeted resume. God bless and good luck!
Old 11-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Does anyone in this thread have time to particpate in my thread, regarding Flywheel Selection ?
Old 11-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Im a Fellow of the IMECHE in England and have worked for 30 years or so in Engineering related disciplines - its a great career to have and you get to make interesting stuff. It also brought me to the USA every six weeks to work with some great US Engineers in Indy, East Hartford, Fort Worth, Jupiter Fl, Seatle and the Skunk works located somewhat north of LA.

OK the money should be better but it beats almost every other job out there! So go for it!

Oh and it enabled me to bring a Pantera back from Tennessee.