502 Fuel pump issues

Notices

502 Fuel pump issues

Old 10-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 502 Fuel pump issues

OK guys- I need your help-

This summer I got tired of not being on the water (Scarab is not close to being done) and bought a 93 Rinker 232 Captiva with a 502 MPI. It ran flawless all summer, with the exception of last weekend. Middle of the day it refused to start, but after it sat for about 20 minutes it lit right off and ran flawless the rest of the weekend. Went to winterize it today and it won't start, and I don't hear the fuel pump running. I read all the posts on the VST system but I think mine is different, I have a silver Aeromotive fuel pump mounted under the engine, so I am pretty sure someone else has had this problem. I changed the fuel pump relay and that made no difference, is there something else I should check or do? Any help would be extremely appreciated because changing the fuel pump looks like a b**ch because of where it is mounted.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 10-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Registered

I had the same problem last year with mine. It was on a 500EFI. Probably not the same pump. The bearings went out in my pump and would not run unless I tapped on the actual pump with a wrench. Once the pump strarted it would run all day. This might get you winterized but you will still have to change the pump. Hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Registered

So if the key is on- I should hear the fuel pump? I never paid attention to it before, so I really don't know- anyone?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Registered

I have the red aeromotive pump on my Scarab, you should hear the pump prime the motor when you turn the key to on, then it will stop.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Registered

You should also have a Oil Pressure Switch on the back of the motor. It will kill the power to the fuel pump on loss of pressure to save the motor, I have heard of these going out also, If you are not hearing the pump run you should check power at the pump them go from there, you may have a bad switch. Someone else may know a little more about the system than me , just kinda thinking out loud.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:38 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info- I will check it out.
Scott
Old 05-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Registered

Ok- now I have some other problem, help!!!???!!!

I changed the Aeromotive A1000 to a marine spec black A1000 today. before I started I checked to see If I heard the pump running when I turned the ignition on and nothing- so I changed the pump. Got the pump changed and turned the key on and now I hear it prime- the engine started and ran- then dies. I do not hear the pump running when it dies. If I turn the key off and back on the pump runs- the engine starts and runs for about a minute then it dies. I checked obvious things like making sure I have fuel in the tank(its half full) and I changed the fuel filter. Still the same thing. Any ideas???

Thanks,

Scott
Old 05-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Registered

Also- how do I tell if I have a cool fuel or vst system? On my engine the routing is this- comes out of the tank- into the Aeromotive(mounted under the engine) up to the fuel filter. I think it runs to the rail after that- and I see a return line back to the tank. All of the fuel lines have been redone with braided line- and it looks like the top of the old mechanical fuel pump has been capped off. Does any of this sound right?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Registered

Ok- I have decided I hate it when I do a search on subjects and find all these posts and no one comes back and actually tells us if the problem was resolved and what fixed it. Here is what I did in my case- checked the fuel pump relay- checked all the fuses, then I went and bought the service manual. Hooked a fuel pressure guage to the schrader valve on the fuel rail- and after I did all that, fired it off and had no more problems. Fuel pressure is a steady 40 pounds at idle or 4000 rpm, and it runs perfect. So I think after the fuel pump died it just took a while to bleed all the air out of the system- and purging the air with the schrader valve probably helped.

By the way- I am now pretty familier with the fuel system on this engine- so if anyone else needs some help feel free to pm me with questions.

Scott