Notices

Winterizing

Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by BeakBoater35
I disagree that dilution with water makes the antifreeze unusable. I believe it makes the freezing and burst points higher...but not nescessarily unusable.

If you truely used 18 gallons of -50 (burst point in copper I presume) it had a glycol concentration of perhaps 30%. That correspands to a freeze point of about 5F. Dilute 18 gallons with say 4 gallons of water from the motor and that gives you about 25% glycol concentration which would have a freeze point of about 10F...I'd guess the burst point to be about -40 or so. Don't hold me to all this...but my GUESS is you are fine.

To be sure, take a sample to someone with a way to measure Ethylene Gycol concentration...I use a refractometer and it correlates really well with -50 and -60 products. Reads a bit pessimistic on -100 product.
I am talking about the "PINK" RV antifreeze, Read the label it says DO NOT MIX WITH WATER!!! The other"AUTOMOTIVE" antifreeze can be mixed and it does enhance the freeze point, But not RV.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Regardless of what the label says, propylene glycol is propylene glycol...no matter what the color.

eet Corporation has an excellent chart on their web site titled "Freezing Points Of Aqueous Glycol Solutions". It charts both propylene and ethylene.

I will bet my life savings (about $1.99 US right now) that the difference between -50, -60, -100 F "rv antifreeze" is the concentration of proplene glycol mixed with WATER!

I believe your reference to "AUTOMOTIVE" antifreeze is ethylene glycol, and it is not "enhanced" by adding water until the concentration exceeds about 70%...which is way high. Usually this stuff is mixed at about 50%. At these concentrations, the freeze point increases in temperature as water is added.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you treat your gas as well?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I treated the gas with Stabil

I did a little test yesterday by placing 2 small plastic Gatorade bottles, capped in the freezer at about -10, one with the left over antifreeze from my winterizing that had a little dilution with water and one with straight -50 pink right out of the bottle. In 10 hours both were frozen to a very firm slush. The bottles had not expanded but It's makes me worry about the -50 stuff. I think I'm going to redo the winterizing with -100 RV just to be sure.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Freeze Point vs Burst Point

What you observed was the "freeze point". For "-50F" propylene glycol the freeze point is about +12F. I kid you not!
The "-50F" is the burst point for copper pipe. (The burst point for PVC pipe is about -10F.)

What you observed in your freezer is exactly what should of occured...note the bottles did not distort.

BTW, "-100F" will do the same thing in your freezer...assuming your freezer gets to -60F!!!!!! That is the freeze point of "-100F".

For whatever it's worth, I just winterized my MC HP525SC motors. When done, the propylene glycol antifreeze in the motors measured a freeze point of -4F, which means a burst point in copper pipe of about -65F or so. I'm going sleep just fine knowing this. Unheated storage in upsate New York where below 0F temperatures are common.

I made the measurements with a hand held digital refractometer...my latest $500 toy! (Hand held optical refractometers casn be had for $100 +/-.) Do NOT try to make this measurement with the typical hydrometer intended to be used with ethylene glycol antifreeze typically found in automotive applications.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BeakBoater, sounds like rrentsch used the left over anti freeze for his test not fluid from the motor. There is no way to be sure whats in his block if he didn't drain it first. Good luck.
Jim
Old 10-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Like is being pointed out here by several people, the pink RV antifreeze does freeze!!!! It just does not expand like water. The -50* freezes solid around 0*.

Fortunately, I have a heated garage now and don't winterize with AF.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a heated garage but still winterize. Chit happens and I would not take the chance.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t-islands
I also have a heated garage but still winterize. Chit happens and I would not take the chance.
Ditto! All it takes is an ice storm or heavy snow and the power can be out 2 to 4 days if not longer...not worth the risk even with a heated garage.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Like is being pointed out here by several people, the pink RV antifreeze does freeze!!!! It just does not expand like water. The -50* freezes solid around 0*.

Fortunately, I have a heated garage now and don't winterize with AF.
I was under the impresion it doesn't freeze solid, but turns slushy.

Quick Reply: Winterizing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.