Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Rear Crossover on intake manifold >

Rear Crossover on intake manifold

Notices

Rear Crossover on intake manifold

Old 02-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

are guys still doing this? also is it imperative to do it on both sides of the intake? i may do this on my 496's and have a t fitting on one side or the other with a pressure relief valve. seems sensable.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I always do it. However, I dump the lines overboard. I not only use it to eliminate any steam pockets at the rear of the heads and intake, but I also use it to control water pressure. I will start out with a #4 coming out of each side. They run to a tee and dump overboard. If I need to get rid of more water, then I will up the hoses to #6. My dump hose is a #10, so I can go up to (2) #8 hoses from the rear of the intake to control water pres.
I do not run a check valve on it because I want it to flow water all the time. You could run hoses to the front of the engine, but then it will not work to help in controlling water pressure. That is always not nesseccary, but it is nice if you need it. You must run a hose from each side of the rear of the intake since there is no crossover to tie the 2 sides together.
Eddie
Old 02-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I always do it. However, I dump the lines overboard. I not only use it to eliminate any steam pockets at the rear of the heads and intake, but I also use it to control water pressure. I will start out with a #4 coming out of each side. They run to a tee and dump overboard. If I need to get rid of more water, then I will up the hoses to #6. My dump hose is a #10, so I can go up to (2) #8 hoses from the rear of the intake to control water pres.
I do not run a check valve on it because I want it to flow water all the time. You could run hoses to the front of the engine, but then it will not work to help in controlling water pressure. That is always not nesseccary, but it is nice if you need it. You must run a hose from each side of the rear of the intake since there is no crossover to tie the 2 sides together.
Eddie
Thanks Eddie,
So if I understand you correctly don't really bother tieing into the front jackets. only rear. Makes good sense. Also like the idea of dumping if out and forgeting about the pressure valves. Those are known to NOT always work either. Also as long as were on the sub what is ideal pressure again?
Thanks
John

Last edited by getrdunn; 02-04-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Eddie
Can I get away with drilling my intake after I have it installed?

Theoretically, It would just be minor metal shavings that would exit with the water, but ???????????????
Old 02-05-2010, 03:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Can I get away with drilling my intake after I have it installed?

Theoretically, It would just be minor metal shavings that would exit with the water, but ???????????????
Sure. No problem. The few little shavings won't hurt anything.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eddie,

Will the lines from the back of the intake affect the cooling cooling of wet exhaust?
Thanks
Mike
Old 02-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Is there still a benfite to do this even if you have a circ. pump?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm running #6's to a "y" connector, then a single #6 overboard. Helped me lower water pressure a few lbs. and control the temps!

Also, I put the dumps on the side of the boat so I could peer overboard to confirm I'm pumping water at any given time.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Noise Pollution
Eddie,

Will the lines from the back of the intake affect the cooling cooling of wet exhaust?
Thanks
Mike
The only way it would affect the cooling of the exhaust is if you have very low water pressure now.

Originally Posted by fbc25el
Is there still a benfite to do this even if you have a circ. pump?
Yes, it will still benefit you by not allowing steam pockets to form in the back of the engine.

Eddie
Old 03-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Yes I know this is old, but going through reading stuff.

Would this still work if I ran the hoses to the back of my exhaust wherer I have another place I can remove the plug and put in another fitting?

Quick Reply: Rear Crossover on intake manifold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.