502 EFI top end >

502 EFI top end

Notices

502 EFI top end

Old 10-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 EFI top end

I was making what I expected to be one of my last runs of the year last Sunday and toward the end of my run my starboard exhaust sounded just a bit funny, as in a slight miss. As I was coming off plane into the marina I backed off and the starboard motor started making a very bad noise. It sounded like top end valvetrain inside the valve cover. Motors have Crane roller rockers and complete valve train. Could the exhaust sound I was hearing have been a stud working its way out and the really bad noise it finally coming loose and letting the rocker and pushrod lose contact with each other and breaking something ? I haven't been able to open it up yet and it ran only for an instant with the big noise.

Anyone care to suggest what might have happened ? The guys that work on my motors won't be able to look at it for 6-7 days so I'm just hoping it's not fatal.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Registered

valve seat dropped.......
Old 10-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

Anyone can guess. I dont think a stud would back out. Just because you have pretty good parts doesnt mean they dont break. My first guess would be a broken valve spring or bent push rod. Just have to get it appart to see. At least it's at the end of the season.
Jerry.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Registered

Would a broken spring or bent pushrod happen "slowly" as in being able to hear the difference in exhaust sound for a minute or two ? I was able to hear a difference for a minute or so and only when I let off did it start being nasty sounding.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be a lifter going bad. They do have a limited life span. The needle bearings in the roller start to break down and clearence opens up between the lifter and the cam.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

I have never seen a spring partly broke. I have seen push rods bend bad enough to come clear out. I had this happen once and it allowed the lifter to jump out of the bore. When and engine is off idle there can be allot of noise that may mask a noise you can hear at idle. If you have a roller cam it could be like PatriYacht said with added clearence between the cam and lifter. I have seen the roller or cam lobe get a bad spot which causes the lifter to skip over the cam in stead of rolling and cause a noise however what I have seen is just a clicking noise. Sometimes if a valve stops opening you can get allot of loud popping. Again untill it's taken appart it's all speculation.

Jerry.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Registered

Guys, the noise I had was like a 1/2" box end wrench was loose in a valve cover. It was big.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Could be any of several things or a combination of them. Broke rocker, broke lifter, broke stud, broke spring, bent pushrod or all the above.

No reason to guess. Just go pull the valve cover.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deboatmon
Guys, the noise I had was like a 1/2" box end wrench was loose in a valve cover. It was big.
Hum, are you missing any tools?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Griff has the right approach here. Is there any water in the oil?

Quick Reply: 502 EFI top end

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.