Peanut port options

Notices

Peanut port options

Old 10-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peanut port options

i have a 1988 Merc McM 330 , I assume its a peanut port cyl head type motor
as one of my many winter projects i'm gonna put on an aftermarket exhaust , and was thinking about upgrading intake and carb setup , not radical , mostly for looks to be honest , any performance gains will be a bonus

any idea's on intakes ? , what happens if i bolt a rect. port intake onto small oval port heads , will it still seal? will it disrupt fuel flow horribly ? will i blow up in a sequence that would make james bond proud?

thanks in advance
Old 10-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

The aftermarket exhaust will at least make your engine look and sound a little nicer. Stainless Marine or GIL, Eddie Marine, or comparable manifold type exhaust systems would be a good choice.

If you're going to stay with the stock cam, then an Edlebrock RPM Performer or Air-Gap intake manifold would be a good choice. Both are dual plane intakes.

Also, as long as you're replacing the stock Merc exhaust system with a better breathing aftermarket exhaust, and you want to replace the stock Merc/GM cam with an aftermarkter hydraulic roller that runs a higher RPM range, then you could go with a single/open plane intake manifold like a Dart or something comparable.

Not sure what all you're looking to do on your peanut port heads, but you can have larger valves in stalled on the heads and have them bowl/pocket ported if you want. If you don't want the larger valves, then at least have the heads bowl/pocket ported---probably good for maybe 20-30hp or so.

A Holley 750cfm carb is what I would use on a 454cid engine.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
The aftermarket exhaust will at least make your engine look and sound a little nicer. Stainless Marine or GIL, Eddie Marine, or comparable manifold type exhaust systems would be a good choice.

If you're going to stay with the stock cam, then an Edlebrock RPM Performer or Air-Gap intake manifold would be a good choice. Both are dual plane intakes.

Also, as long as you're replacing the stock Merc exhaust system with a better breathing aftermarket exhaust, and you want to replace the stock Merc/GM cam with an aftermarkter hydraulic roller that runs a higher RPM range, then you could go with a single/open plane intake manifold like a Dart or something comparable.

Not sure what all you're looking to do on your peanut port heads, but you can have larger valves in stalled on the heads and have them bowl/pocket ported if you want. If you don't want the larger valves, then at least have the heads bowl/pocket ported---probably good for maybe 20-30hp or so.

A Holley 750cfm carb is what I would use on a 454cid engine.
Solid advice for that motor.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I had twin 1987 330 Mercs. I did similar to what you are thinking. I installed Edlebrock Performer intake only after I epoxy coated the entire intake since I run in salt water. I added Stainless Marine exhaust, Holley 750 CFM carbs, MSD ignition, and a slightly more agressive cam. I had them dynoed at 424 hp and 509 ft/lb torque for both engines. The peanut port heads will create some good torque which is really what a boat needs. I wouldn't install rectangular port intake as it will disrupt air flow and create a vortex. I had good luck with the peanut port heads personally. Tommy
Old 10-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Registered

Thanks for the advice , i really dont want to tear down the motor too far , so the cam will remain the same.
now starts the search for a BBC intake for peanut port , i see all kinds of rectangular and oval.
and exhaust , but i recently read that the stock 496 exhaust bolts up to 454 , an inexpensive upgrade if i can find someone who upgraded there 496
Old 10-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Registered

I have a 454 I call the Mystery Motor. It was supposed to be a Gen V 454 Mag but it's not. It was replaced at some point by a previous owner with a Gen V 454 block with peanut port heads that was built by an independent shop so I have no idea what is in the bottom end, what cam or if anything was done to the heads. It came with a 750 Weber on a cast iron Quadrjet manifold and cast iron exhaust. It has always run very strong so I'm guessing it was not built as a stock 7.4 330 but ????? Anyway, this past spring I had a set of Dana exhaust and a performer intake installed with a 1" spacer under the carb. My mechanic has a big prop shaft dyno that is not calibrated in HP but allows him to load the engine for tuning. He was surprised at how many jet sizes he had to go to get the plugs looking right. I went from a 23 to a 25" Mirage Plus, picked up 6 MPH on top end (4800RPM on factory tach) and improved my cruising economy at 3000 RPM. Not knowing what I have on the bottom I'm not going to try spinning this thing any faster than that. Speed is great but reliability is even greater in my book. The Danas are Awesome. They scavenge almost as good as a tubular header without all the problems. I highly recommend them. If you go this route, make sure you change jetting or you will be way too lean at WOT.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The 496 manifolds do fit and this is the exact route I was taking with my gen VI 454 untill my mild mods turned into a new build.... Funny how that happens.
Since I jumped my displacement up to 540 these are no longer the best route for me. If you are interested in them let me know, I PM'd you a price. They are in great shape and are the aluminum ones. Some of them, including the most recent ones, are cast iron. The aluminum ones are much lighter.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Senior Member # 68
Charter Member

Originally Posted by THLWL
I had twin 1987 330 Mercs. I did similar to what you are thinking. I installed Edlebrock Performer intake only after I epoxy coated the entire intake since I run in salt water. I added Stainless Marine exhaust, Holley 750 CFM carbs, MSD ignition, and a slightly more agressive cam. I had them dynoed at 424 hp and 509 ft/lb torque for both engines. The peanut port heads will create some good torque which is really what a boat needs. I wouldn't install rectangular port intake as it will disrupt air flow and create a vortex. I had good luck with the peanut port heads personally. Tommy
Just curious if you had your "peanut port" heads modified in any way such as larger valves in stalled w bowl/pocket port work? Or did you did you just stay with the stock valve size and still have a bowl/pocket port job done? Thanks
Old 10-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peanut port heads flow around 200 CFM stock. With work valves slightly bigger (cut down some larger valves) Got the flow up to 240 / 250 about were large oval ports are stock. Ported large ovals get up in the 300 CFM range possibly more if I played around with them some 300 was using 2.19 valves. Dont recomend bigger valves on a 454 because the chambere is aprox 4.48" across which is bigger than the bore. I think with some tweeking a set of big ovals with stock size valves could see 270 CFM or a bit better which would be perfect for a 454 maxing out HP at 5200 RPM torq around 4000 RPM.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Senior Member # 68
Charter Member

Originally Posted by turbo2256b
Peanut port heads flow around 200 CFM stock. With work valves slightly bigger (cut down some larger valves) Got the flow up to 240 / 250 about were large oval ports are stock. Ported large ovals get up in the 300 CFM range possibly more if I played around with them some 300 was using 2.19 valves. Dont recomend bigger valves on a 454 because the chambere is aprox 4.48" across which is bigger than the bore. I think with some tweeking a set of big ovals with stock size valves could see 270 CFM or a bit better which would be perfect for a 454 maxing out HP at 5200 RPM torq around 4000 RPM.
Thanks for your input on the larger ovals. It is very interesting, but would still be interested in knowing what pocket/bowl porting and short side radius work would do to a set of "peanut port" heads with and/or without larger valves? Do you have any further knowledge on bowl/pcoket port work on the "peanut port" heads without major porting? Thanks

Last edited by Steve A.K.A RAMPAGE; 10-26-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Peanut port options

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.