Loose bell housings >

Loose bell housings

Notices

Loose bell housings

Old 11-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose bell housings

I was told by the shop that my bell housings were loose and that they would need to be replaced without taking them apart? Sound right? 1991 Merc 465's Bravo 1's 250 hours no symptoms the boat was in for routine service.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by MOERON; 11-19-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Registered

Were the drives removed to be serviced? How could both be bad? Mercury isn't really that good that the parts wear that evenly.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Bellhousings could be bad because the threads where the pin attach are wobbled loose. It is easy to see. Just lift the cav plate while looking at movement in pins. The loads on the drive will eat the threads out. The HP pins where developed to remedy that problem. You are lucky someone pointed that out to you they ultimate failure may have been the drive hanging off by the indicator cables and tie bar. If you run it hard you should concider HP rings and Bellhousings.
Jim
Old 11-20-2007, 02:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOERON
I was told by the shop that my bell housings were loose and that they would need to be replaced without taking them apart? Sound right? 1991 Merc 465's Bravo 1's 250 hours no symptoms the boat was in for routine service.

Thanks for the help.

If it is the threads they can be heli coiled without taking apart. Kind of tricky but it can be done.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I too have a loose pin on a Bravo 1 which you can see when you lift the cavitation plate. Brought new pins (pt no. 10-86801 HINGE SCREW) and bushing (pt no 23-847637 Bushing) but what do you mean by HP? Do I need something else??

Engine is a Merc HP425 (454 big block)
Old 11-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Refer to the "Flywheel Weight" thread. We have guys on this that can figure anything out. It will be hashed, re-hashed, over-analysed and you will fall asleep reading the rhetoric.

The bad part is: You won't learn a thing!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nicolasticity
I too have a loose pin on a Bravo 1 which you can see when you lift the cavitation plate. Brought new pins (pt no. 10-86801 HINGE SCREW) and bushing (pt no 23-847637 Bushing) but what do you mean by HP? Do I need something else??

Engine is a Merc HP425 (454 big block)
He means High performance gimbal rings. Nothing to do with the repair you are trying to make. Other than running hard with high hp engines may be causing the pins to get loose and therefore you may need stronger gimbal parts. Most likely though the pins just came loose and went unnoticed until the threads were destroyed.

BT
Old 11-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

thanks so I guess I need to check the threads - I assume the bore or pin wear less from the reply.

So I drop the leg remove the gimbal and helicoil new threads and rebuild. Does loctite help or is it a no no.

Maybe after new bushes and a tighten I might be OK?
Old 11-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nicolasticity
thanks so I guess I need to check the threads - I assume the bore or pin wear less from the reply.

So I drop the leg remove the gimbal and helicoil new threads and rebuild. Does loctite help or is it a no no.

Maybe after new bushes and a tighten I might be OK?
If you put in new bushing and the new pins can be tightened to the torque spec., you are good to go. The strongest loctite you can get is what you want to use on the threads of the pins.

Chances are the threads are shot and you need to helicoil. Remove the outdrive, remove the 2 pins and pull out the helmet as far as you can. The bellows will be resisting. Wedge it so it stays out so the threaded hole is clear. Put something like sheet metal behind the threaded hole to prevent the heli coil drill bit from going through the bellows. Then do the normal heli coil install procedure.

BT
Old 11-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Ike
Charter Member#93
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blue thunder
If you put in new bushing and the new pins can be tightened to the torque spec., you are good to go. The strongest loctite you can get is what you want to use on the threads of the pins.

Chances are the threads are shot and you need to helicoil. Remove the outdrive, remove the 2 pins and pull out the helmet as far as you can. The bellows will be resisting. Wedge it so it stays out so the threaded hole is clear. Put something like sheet metal behind the threaded hole to prevent the heli coil drill bit from going through the bellows. Then do the normal heli coil install procedure.

BT

Dave would that be the PINK loctite?

Quick Reply: Loose bell housings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.