gen v 454 mag install into trs setup >

gen v 454 mag install into trs setup

Notices

gen v 454 mag install into trs setup

Old 11-30-2007, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhiguy377
did the gen v's come with fuel pumps?; if i'm not mistaken the mercruiser packages w/gen v motors had the fuel pump as part of the raw water pump assembly. - good luck. jeff
yes thats right, the gen v had the combo sea pump/fuel pump with one pulley driving them.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default trs

I just looked at a trs set for a buddy, has water pickup on transom hose comes in to a strainer then to normal seawater pump, instead of going from there to oil cooler goes thru tranny cooler first-then oil cooler should be pretty simple just need hoses
Old 11-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by randy carlson
I just looked at a trs set for a buddy, has water pickup on transom hose comes in to a strainer then to normal seawater pump, instead of going from there to oil cooler goes thru tranny cooler first-then oil cooler should be pretty simple just need hoses
it dont seem to bad now that i am understanding them a little more. its seems i need two in line coolers. one for the tranny that comes first inline, then all the other stuff and oil/power streeing cooler............i think
Old 12-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Registered
Gold Member

When it comes to routing the warm water coming out of the transmission. I have installed a fitting at the rear on the drivers side that discharges the water. This allows you to monitor the flow of water and the temp. It was a trick Doug Janish used on TRS setups. I have many friends that have had TRS drives and everyone had good success. I enclosed a photo of my Cigarette 20' and you can see the discharge water coming out in front of the bilge fitting. These Merctrans units are very dependable as long as you don't continually slam the throttles down with big torque motors.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 98itrwhite
it dont seem to bad now that i am understanding them a little more. its seems i need two in line coolers. one for the tranny that comes first inline, then all the other stuff and oil/power streeing cooler............i think
As mentioned above, the MercTrans cooler in internal to the transmission, all you need to do is fabricate a "T" off the pressure side of the sea pump, it's a pretty small hose, 3/8" if I remember correctly. Factory rigged, they dumped into an exhaust riser port. Just dump it overboard.

Kurt
Old 12-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
As mentioned above, the MercTrans cooler in internal to the transmission, all you need to do is fabricate a "T" off the pressure side of the sea pump, it's a pretty small hose, 3/8" if I remember correctly. Factory rigged, they dumped into an exhaust riser port. Just dump it overboard.

Kurt
i see what your talking about now. my tranny has two 3/8 lines coming out of them. i can just tee into the pressure side off the water pump and take the other hose and hook it up to a thru hull fitting. which hose is the intake or exhuast or it dont really matter which way they flow?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 98itrwhite
i see what your talking about now. my tranny has two 3/8 lines coming out of them. i can just tee into the pressure side off the water pump and take the other hose and hook it up to a thru hull fitting. which hose is the intake or exhuast or it dont really matter which way they flow?
Yup, as far as the fittings on the tranny, I dont think it matters at all, just a water cooled tube looped around. I would pull the cooler out and check it for leaks. If the motors were winterized by just draining blocks and hoses, the trans cooler would still have water in it. They need to be run on the antifreeze to get into the cooler.

Kurt
Old 12-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
Yup, as far as the fittings on the tranny, I dont think it matters at all, just a water cooled tube looped around. I would pull the cooler out and check it for leaks. If the motors were winterized by just draining blocks and hoses, the trans cooler would still have water in it. They need to be run on the antifreeze to get into the cooler.

Kurt
good point, who knows how long this boat has been apart. i bought it with no motors just the trannys and drives. i will check the coolers for cracks along with the water tank for the sink. i am almost sure they froze at one point.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will have to get gen 5-6 oil filter adapter as they are differnt from the gen 4's and make up your cooler lines, eddie marine has the parts there, on the fuel pump, dont mess with the merc "junk" fuel pump piggy backed on the raw water pump, costly and don't hold up for **** !, run a electric and be done with that along with a std bravo/inboard style water pump...Rob