Bravo XR.?  XZ? >

Bravo XR.? XZ?

Notices

Bravo XR.? XZ?

Old 12-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bravo XR.? XZ?

What is the real difference between the two??
Pros.. cons? Any other drives in the same $ range worth looking into??
Thx

P
Old 12-12-2007, 10:23 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
What is the real difference between the two??
Pros.. cons? Any other drives in the same $ range worth looking into??
Thx

P
both have same lower....XR has straight cut upper gears. XZ has hardened B1 type helical cut upper gears. Orig B1 would break lowers, beef up lower, then upper became weak link, beef up upper = XR XR will take 600 hp in the right boat with the right driver.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

For the power you have been talking about, don't even consider an XZ. Get an XR with a good top cap and a good drive shower and go.
Eddie
Old 12-13-2007, 02:17 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
both have same lower....XR has straight cut upper gears. XZ has hardened B1 type helical cut upper gears. Orig B1 would break lowers, beef up lower, then upper became weak link, beef up upper = XR XR will take 600 hp in the right boat with the right driver.

What he said.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The XZ seems to have a longer life span unless subjected to excess HP. THe uppers seem to last a tad longer
Old 12-13-2007, 06:30 AM
Registered

Does a larger better top cap make a much of a difference on a stock Bravo? I bought a new one last summer, it doesn't have the new style cap. Should I buy one like the new style??

What does a better top cap offer?
Old 12-13-2007, 10:49 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
Does a larger better top cap make a much of a difference on a stock Bravo? I bought a new one last summer, it doesn't have the new style cap. Should I buy one like the new style??

Yes, it will add strength to a stock bravo. Keeps the vert shaft in place. Keep your drive and get a billet top cap from billet marine or something....if thats what you want.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:52 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BadDog
The XZ seems to have a longer life span unless subjected to excess HP. THe uppers seem to last a tad longer

yes, the straight cut gears dont last as long under normal wear and tear.....i would think we are still talking 3-4-5 yrs though and for whats its worth I wouldnt skimp on the XZ with the amt of HP.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff

The beefed up top cap is a big help in keeping the vert shaft in place. It also helps on the left hand drives to keep the cap from flexing. The left hand drives want to send the upper gears and the vert shaft up through the cap. The stock cast aluminum cap can and does flex allowing increased basklash and less tooth engagement in the upper gears, which can cause premature gear failure. Billet Marine is my cap of choice. It has internal cooling passages, making for an excellent drive shower. The problem with some of the aftermarket caps is that while they are thick and do not flex, your drive shower is not very effective at cooling the drive. They are so thick that bouncing water off the top of them is not going to cool the drive because of the mass of the cap. Hence the reason I like the internal water passages. Hope this answers your question, Eddie.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

XR also has a larger diameter prop shaft. Therefore, a regular Bravo 1 prop requires the internal hub to be replaced with the larger diameter id. Soooo, ideally it should be harder to twist a prop shaft in the XR.

Quick Reply: Bravo XR.? XZ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.