Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Daytona Eliminator >

Daytona Eliminator

Notices

Daytona Eliminator

Old 01-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hardy.hardy@hotmail.
What Will Happen Tabbin Down At Fast Speeds.i Thought It Would Just Slow Down And Maybee Give Me Some Spray
It'l give you some spray when it pushes the nose down ..
Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lew, discression is the better part of valor. Cats are a whole different animal than a vee. They take TIME to get comfortable with. I have a 28 ft Advantage Sport Cat, and I can say twins in a cat our size is no joke. I think a lot of what you are feeling is the hull really starting to pack air. When this happens, there isn't much boat in the water. On my cat, after I'm on step, the center tab goes in the full up postion and stay there. All running attitude is controlled by drives only. I have noticed that after my hull really starts to pack air I actually use less trim than at intermediate speeds. And as far as the blowover is concerned, well.... I wouldn't say it's impossible.

Darrell.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mate i'll tell you just get out there and drive it.Wear a jacket and kill switch and we all on here could post forever but nothing will teach you like seat time.I run my 27 over 100 and i don't have big flat lakes like over there.I have always been lead to believe the danger zone in a 27 cat is 95 and above.Now what is "The danger zone".I believe that is where you really have to drive the boat,meaning driving to the conditions where you and the boat feel "safe".Nothing will prepare you better than spending time in the boat.Your right Vee's and Cats are completely different animals.If it makes you feel better in one race i ran 85 miles in the open Pacific ocean and spent more than 2/3 of that above 100 in the open bow in my avatar.Next race i could only average 50.I was driving to the conditions.You shouldn't be using your tabs for anything but to get on plane(you probably don't need them for that)or levelling the boat to port or starboard.Be safe and learn the boat.

http://www.aopc.com.au/news.htm
Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The is a 27 eliminator that runs at the shoot out at loto that runs in the 140's I wouldn't be worried about blow overs.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Registered

Be careful what you tell others on how to operate boats. They may have a bad set up or Handling condition that may warrant looking at. Its not worth gettiing hurt. I see people all the time telling others how to drive and give them imformation that can ge them killed. Not to mention you can get named in a law case. In a case like this I new guy need proper training, I would hate to read a post about this guy getting hurt. In the lst few monthes I went do classes on a few boats that new owners were trying to drive with little sucsess and when drove the boat I found out that it was unexceptable set up boat for anyone to drive. So please be carefull
Old 01-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you're new to cats, I hope you realize spins, rolls, and stuffs are a lot more likely than a blowover. And the way they occur is a lot different than a V.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a 97' Eliminator Daytona, it is a good hull design but it is not like current models. The center pod is deeper than the outboard sponsons, I would call it more modified tunnel than tunnel. In some earlier years these hulls had some delamination issues but it was mainly some hulls that were very lightly built. These were built in Min. or Wisc.? My hull was built in Cali. and was a tank probably a lot heavy. My boat handled very well. It turns more like a "V" because of the lower center pod. The only time my boat would hop(correct name for porpoise) was when I tried 5 blade Herrings. I had twin 600hp and the best I got was 97. The boat felt very good at that speed. I am suspicious that something may be off in your set up. There is a guy in Cinti. OH that knows a lot about these hulls. I have forgotten his name, but his screen name was Merlin 540. I think he had one of these things going 120's which was insane speed at that time. My boat did not require much trim at all. I wouldn't try to drive through anything it's not worth it. Hope this helps. Eric
Attached Thumbnails Daytona Eliminator-webelimparkinglotback.jpg   Daytona Eliminator-pokerrun04.jpg   Daytona Eliminator-starb.motorwide9.jpg  

Old 01-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hardy.hardy@hotmail.
Thanks For The Help Any More Info Would Be Great.not To Sound Stupid But Can A Boat That Size And At The Speeds This Boat Should Run Blow Over.or Was I Just Scared From The Change In The Ride From A Vee And Too Much Time On Youtube Looking At Much Faster Boats.this Is All New To Me. Thanks Lew
Lew find one of your local guys on the lake with a cat and have him go for a ride with ya , maybe your bottom is messed up for a while they put out some porpoiusing boats . theres guys out there like Teague that can jump in a boat feel it out and find the sweet spot .
Old 01-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Registered

Thanks Guys And Mostly Runninhotracinn But I'm Not A Lake Guy I'm A Salty And Live In It And Below Sea Level,and Love It.sorry Just Proud To Be A Marsh Billy.any How I'm A Boat Builder And Do Under Stand The Basics.thank You Every One For The Help.a Good Vest And Kill Lanyerd Is A Good Idea.it Also Seems Like Getting This Boat In The Winter And Having Time To Talk To You Guys Before I Run It With Too Many Beers In Me Is A Good Idea.i Do Not Want Or Think I Can Handle Anything That This Boat Can Throw At Me.that Being Said All My Life Has Been Spent On The Water And I'am Looking For Tips A Little Past The Beginer Level.all Though The Lanyard Idea Never Crossed My Mind.i'm Hopeing To Get Ideas On The Proper Set Up And Trim Angles Not Numbers To Driving Schools.this Is For Fun And I'm Just Trying To Do It With Out Getting Hurt Or Even More Important Is My Buddys When They Say Go Faster Ha Ha. Thanks Lew
Old 01-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Registered

Spins, Rolls & Stuffs - What makes these happen? I'm not trying to act like a know it all, but the set up part is what I do for a living. What driver imput is required in rough choppy salty water in a boat like this? I'm on the chesapeake bay and conditions vary from slick calm to a gale. Maybe I'm asking ?'s that are too broad for one thread? Just puttin myself out there.
Thanks, Lew

Quick Reply: Daytona Eliminator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.