Merc 5.7/300 Mag IO HP mods >

Merc 5.7/300 Mag IO HP mods

Notices

Merc 5.7/300 Mag IO HP mods

Old 01-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merc 5.7/300 Mag IO HP mods

Have a buddy with a new Larson 206 Senza with a merc 300ghp mag and a bravo. Boat runs right around 60 with a merc 21 lab Lazer.

He's installing dual hydro steering. Wants to go faster with bolt ons.

Does anyone know if someone makes a chip, or box to bump the HP of the factory setup?

Also who can recommend a exhaust upgrade and still keep the Captains call operable.

This rig has a delta VEC hull and still has a rounded keel with lifting strakes and a 21 degree deadrise. Without installing some lencos and dragging some tab, it feels like 65mph will be about it before it gets completely out of shape.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Any major mods will need the PCM tuned and that is pretty expensive. I know many who modify alot pull the EFI and go carb to be able to tune the engine themself. To my knowledge there are no chips or gains to be had my modifying the stock program.

I'm pretty sure EMI Thunder silent choice short riser setup would allow keeping the captain's call. Might have to check with EMI to be sure. Tell him not to expect a big gain after upgrading the exhaust. 1-2 mph tops and maybe less on a stock 350 MAG.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Registered

Not likely to get much bang for the buck by upgrading. Find a 496HO take-out and sell the small block, if the big block will fit.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

just the topic i was hoping for! i got pretty much the same boat but it has a 5.0 270 hp volvo with a sx sterndrive. best ive seen on gps is 54.8. was hoping to pick up about 5 mph with a couple add ones, but i dont really wanna break the warranty.

scotty, does your friends boat get a bit squirly at 60? sometimes if i dont hit a wave dead on at wot, it gets a bit bent out of shape. you have any idea what their cruise is? i get about 31-32 mph at 3000 rpm if i remember correctly. right now i have a 4 blade and a 3 blade and the 3 blade 21 wont even spin up to 5000 rmp, only about 4600 on a good day.

cheers,
josh
Old 01-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Registered

Yes, you need to drive and fly this boat at max trim to get 60 ish and the steering feels it's near its limit.

This is probably not for 1st timers as the boat will get out of shape if you don't pick your water.

We are used to flying 100+mph outboard boats that can chine walk and are used to that on the edge feel.

This boat has the Merc 300hp Mag and will spin it to 5K on the factory tach. remember this is a Merc labbed prop, not a stocker. (Volvo's motor is the 320).

Given this boat has a round keel, its probably very close to it's limit as it doesn't have a pad to fly on. Overpowering it and flying it on some tabs might be the answer.

We will probably research the after market guys for a new EFI box and intake to see what happens, and maybe do a little bottom work.

If it goes any further I'll post an update.

Scotty Boy
Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Registered

ya, i was thinking tabs also. figured they might also be a plus for a hole shot.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Scotty Boy
Yes, you need to drive and fly this boat at max trim to get 60 ish and the steering feels it's near its limit.

This is probably not for 1st timers as the boat will get out of shape if you don't pick your water.

We are used to flying 100+mph outboard boats that can chine walk and are used to that on the edge feel.

This boat has the Merc 300hp Mag and will spin it to 5K on the factory tach. remember this is a Merc labbed prop, not a stocker. (Volvo's motor is the 320).

Given this boat has a round keel, its probably very close to it's limit as it doesn't have a pad to fly on. Overpowering it and flying it on some tabs might be the answer.

We will probably research the after market guys for a new EFI box and intake to see what happens, and maybe do a little bottom work.

If it goes any further I'll post an update.

Scotty Boy
any updates?