Holley 4175 QJet Replacement >

Holley 4175 QJet Replacement

Notices

Holley 4175 QJet Replacement

Old 01-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Holley 4175 QJet Replacement

Has anyone had experience replacing their tired QJets with these carbs? I am looking for better starting and equal or better performance on 350Mags. Do the fuel lines and throttle connections hook up to the same locatons as stock and is the electric choke the best way to go?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, they work great,, just make sure you get on with mechanical secondaries.. The throttle linkage needs adaptors & you will need some fuel lines to make it work right.. But it is worth the upgrade.. Electric choke is nice, but many times you dont even need a choke on one. Just pump em a few times & let it idle high while it warms up..

Now, Throw out the Quadra bog or use it for an anchor..

Jamie / Lakeside

Last edited by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS; 01-16-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Registered

You know, when Merc discontinued the Q jet, they kept the spreadbore manifolds and used an adapter to bolt a Weber, aka Edelbrock, Carter on the engines.
You might want to consider a marie edelbrock 650. Similar performance and it will probably be cheaper.
You may need a new fuel line with either carb. But you can get pre-flared lines at Oreileys around here and just bend it to the correct shape.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

JMO, but the carter & edelbrock are still no comparison to the holley.. The holley is easier to tune, set up & modify if you need to also the holley will out perform it.. The carter/edelbrock 's technology & purposefulness is as bad as the q jet.. There is a reason all of the non efi big boys use Holley or BG as a rule..

Jamie

Old 01-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I tried Edelbrock's twice and was not happy.

Go with a Holley or a Barry Grant if you want to spend the extra $$ for an excellent carb.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
I tried Edelbrock's twice and was not happy.

Go with a Holley or a Barry Grant if you want to spend the extra $$ for an excellent carb.

Agree - you won't regret the money if you size + jet 'em right.

Of course, for those who love the nostalgia of the Rochester (aka all I could afford this year)...here's a before and after.
Attached Thumbnails Holley 4175 QJet Replacement-ohno-put-back.jpg   Holley 4175 QJet Replacement-dipped.jpg  
Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered

Ok, Ok these are in the garage...
Attached Thumbnails Holley 4175 QJet Replacement-2x1050dominators.jpg   Holley 4175 QJet Replacement-chucks.jpg  
Old 01-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Registered

On a stock 350 mag I doubt anyone would notice the performance difference to be worth the $100 difference in price.
On my 68 vette, high compression, big cam I would agree. I'm running a holley on that and used to run holleys on my supercharged boat motors.
But my cruiser is running 40 year old Carters. It starts better and runs smoother than most of my friends efi motors. Oh yeah, and I dont have to worry about accelerator pump diaphram failures causing a gas leak right under my a$$.
My $0.02

Originally Posted by DONZI33
JMO, but the carter & edelbrock are still no comparison to the holley.. The holley is easier to tune, set up & modify if you need to also the holley will out perform it.. The carter/edelbrock 's technology & purposefulness is as bad as the q jet.. There is a reason all of the non efi big boys use Holley or BG as a rule..

Jamie

Last edited by rdoactive; 01-17-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

http://www.holley.com/0-80552.asp

This is the carb. It is only available with vac secondaries and spread bore design, which is fine with me. I am looking for a bolt-on swap that doesn't require changing fuel lines, throttle setup and the height of the flame arrestors. I am trying to keep it simple, if this carb can't do it, I'll look at something else.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Registered

Nice bolt - on

I replaced the QJet I had on the boat for 20 years with an Edelbrock last year, and the difference is remarkable - easier starting, smoother and stronger acceleration, but about the same WOT.

The Holley is a much nicer piece and should serve you well.
Attached Thumbnails Holley 4175 QJet Replacement-medium0-80552.jpg   Holley 4175 QJet Replacement-edelbrock4206carb250chev.jpg  

Quick Reply: Holley 4175 QJet Replacement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.