trim/tilt problem >

trim/tilt problem

Notices

trim/tilt problem

Old 02-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trim/tilt problem

Ok so everything was working fine until recently, ofcoarse i fix one problem and another occurs.

So my trailer trim switch works fine, my trim down works, but my trim up dosnt work.... any ideas?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Registered

It could be the switch or solnenoid at the trim pump. You can either check the switch back on the solonoid with a meter as some else flips the switch of jump the solonoid with jumper cables of a screwdriver. Just be awair that it will cause sparks so make sure the engine compartment is well ventelated. There are 2 solonoids, one for up and one for down. Have someone flick the one that does work and see which of the two is working so you can identify which is up/down. there should be 2 small wires where the switch wires attach and two larger ones that switch the power to the pump. You want to familiarize yourself with which is 12V supply and which wires go to the pump. Use a multimeter and check for DC volts. Place one lead on the engine block( ground) and the other on the larger leads to see which is supply. Now you understand that if you jumpered the large leads you connect 12V to the pump directly. If the pump runs it shows the pump is OK. You can jumper the small wires to see if you can make it run. If it does you have isolated the switch. If it runs as I suspect it will either the switch is bad of there is an interlock such as the drive being down that is bad. I would invest in a manual and a multimerer. Knowing how to use both will pay for themselfs in about 250ms.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Registered

Well after a little more investigation, i found that the wires going to the trim limit switch were rotted right at the spot where the go through the transom plate! so seeing as i dont want to take the gimble off to get to the stupid bolt that hold the rubber retainer thing onto the transom bracket, i just bypassed the switch, and problem solved.

thanks for the fast reply!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Registered

id love to see some pics of your boat also :-D
Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

You can replace the trim sending unit without taking the drive or gimble off. Its not easy, but can be done. Use the old wires to pull the new ones through.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Registered

that would be a great idea if they wires didnt rot and sever off right where they go through the transom bracket, so basically there is nothing for me to connect them to
Old 02-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a similar problem. I was about to buy new solenoids and took the old once off. Once I took everything apart, I cleaned and lubed everything. INcuding the wiring connectnos.
The solenoids wre to be in a few days so what the hack.. I put everything back, and everything worked fine.

I suggest a good cleaning of all parts. including the oil holding tank and the motors.

Good luck.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

His problem is with the electric trim sensors/hockey pucks on the drive, not the pumps. One side is for the "trim" and one is for "trailer" position. If the trim one doesn't work, you can use the trailer switch or redo the wiring at the switches.