A/c Losing Prime >

A/c Losing Prime

Notices

A/c Losing Prime

Old 02-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/c Losing Prime

I Recently Purchased A 2000 50' Hustler With A/c. The Problem Is Every Time The Boat Comes Out Of The Water Or On The Lift The A/c Will Lose It's Prime. The A/c System Was Made By Ocean Marine And No Longer In Business. I Think This Unit Was Intended For A Cruiser That Stays In The Water. Has Anyone Ran Into This Problem Or Know Who Offers The Right Replacement Unit. Thanks For The Help.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Registered

you need to close the inlet valve off before lifting out of the water, and when its back down open and purge out the air should be a little petcock above the pump for the ac close to the water pickup, engine comp or under step? dont know your boat there should also be a sea strrainer there as well.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Registered

Thanks I'll Give That A Try
Old 02-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a check valve for that. Check with a local Cruise Air dealer.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 950 Likes on 479 Posts

first make sure the pump is below the wate line.....then once you have that checked or fixed, make sure the feed line to the pump is straight and doesnt have a high spot in it where you can trap air in it....if all that is done and it still wont work when you are back at that dock then you most likely have a restriction in the lines after the pump of some sort thats preventing the water from moving freely...

As far as it loosing prime when on the lift....theres nothing you can realy do about that.....unless you install a self priming chamber of some sort......PM US1Fountain about his setup....maybe he'll post some pics of the priming chamber i sent him for his unit.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has nothing to do with it being a go fast vs cruiser. Every AC unit will loose prime whenever taken out of the water. DO you have a scoop on your pickup, or just the flush thru hull? You'll always loose prime when any boat is lifted out of the water w/o a check valve, which needs to be located at the seacock valve for best results.
As an easy fix, you can always install a tee in the highest point of your plumbing (between the seacock and pump) then run a hose up with a valve to open to bled the air out, then close the valve.

Don't have any pics of my setup with the chamber setup installed. I mocked up a temp mount <---read bungy cords, The lid wasn't staying sealed tight and was sucking air, preventing the pump from pulling water. One of my winter projects is to make a new cap to addresss this before making a perm mount for the tank and pump.
I'm using a rare application, running my AC with the boat on the lift.